We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicai
reviews: 20
Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

Hi

We will be in the area for 3 nights. Looking for dinner suggestions. We are looking for 2 more casual nights and one nice dinner for our 5 yr wedding anniversary. Thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

We ate at Basil last week. It was superb. It would be a good choice for one of your casual nights. This is a very small restaurant with just a dozen tables or so.

Dametra Cafe' is another great spot. This is probably the most popular place downtown and is a lot of fun with really good food.

For your anniversary dinner, you might look at dining in Monterey or Pacific Grove.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
2. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

If you want something super special, then try Pacific's Edge at the Highlands Inn. It's in the Carmel Highlands, about 10 minutes from downtown Carmel. The views are stunning and the food is very good. It's a very romantic spot.

For other dinners in Carmel, I like Grasing's Coastal Cuisine, Cafe Jalapeno for a lively Mexican place and Little Napoli for very good Italian. All these are casual--Grasings has the "cloth napkins" look about it, but it's not a formal place at all.

chicai
reviews: 20
3. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

ok, thanks! Also I have been researching, which is better food, Roys or Passionfish?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

It's highly subjective, of course. I've heard people rave about Passionfish, but I am not crazy about their food. It's fine, but I think the real attraction there is their extensive wine list. Again, just a personal opinion. Roy's will have more variety on the menu, and I like the food, but can't rave about it either. I don't mean to be unhelpful. It's just that I think there are better restaurants than both of those in this area. Some examples (once again, in my never-to-be-humble opinion): Tarpy's Roadhouse (Monterey), Montrio (Monterey), Red House Cafe (Pacific Grove), Grasings and Casanova (Carmel).

reviews: 740
5. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

Roy's is in a beautiful setting.. go there! A bagpiper plays at sunset. For a nice meal in Carmel, Le St Tropez is very nice. PortaBella, Casanova, Little Napoli are few more of our favorites. Anton & Michel is very good for a more formal dinner. Have fun! :).

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
6. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

My three picks would be Dametra in Carmel and Passionfish (yes, the wine list is amazing! But the food is pretty good, too,) for more casual dining. Sardine Factory in Monterey is easily the top choice for a no-holds-barred celebratory dinner. It was wonderful on our honeymoon in 1971, and we've enjoyed several more meals there in the years since.

Edited: 9:16 pm, March 27, 2013
reviews: 740
7. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

If you want a lovely meal in Monterey, "the c" is excellent. We dined there a few days ago. Very upscale ambiance with beautiful views. Schooner's Coastal Kitchen is also a favorite of ours in Monterey. :).

Carmel, California...
8. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

Hi,

We live in Carmel and enjoy so many of the restaurants. One of our favorites is Flying Fish, located on the edge of the Carmel Plaza in a 'tucked away' cellar location. I love the Yin-Yan salmon and my husband always gets the Almond SeaBass. Call ahead and ask for one of the two back booths, if available. There are only about a dozen tables/booths. If you like artichoke, their artichoke appetizer has an amazing wasabi dipping sauce.

Basil's is really good, too. If the weather is good, you'll want to eat outside on the courtyard patio. More casual - good food.

We'll make it to Little Napoli's quite often, too. Excellent Italian food in a casual atmosphere right in the village.

We have always liked Dametra's. It's more about the atmosphere and fun than the food (although that's good, too). They are right on Ocean Avenue and they keep their Dutch door half open so everyone walking by can hear the lively music and singing, often provided by the chef and staff.

If you want to go to Pacific Grove, Fandango's is really good. And if you want excellent food and a great view, Schooners in Monterey is a great choice.

For a review of restaurants, feel free to check out: www.ilovecarmelcalifornia.com/Restaurants.php

You'll find most of the Carmel restaurants there, except for La Balena, which is quite new and we have heard the food is excellent, although not the top choice for ambiance. Here's a link to their site: http://labalenacarmel.com/

There's so much to see and do in Carmel - I hope you have a fantastic time.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

I always forget about Flying Fish and thanks, ILoveCarmel, for the reminder. It's very good!

Carmel, California...
10. Re: Dinner suggestions for 3 nights

Hi Eestewar - I almost forgot about two others that you might like:

For casual, La Bicyclette, which is on the corner of Dolores and 7th in the village, has my favorite pizza. It's flat crust and my favorite is Butternut Squash. Ok, it may sound icky, but it's awesome. It's got gruyere cheese, speck ham, arugula, sage, and a little butternut squash. The atmosphere is fun - french baguettes in baskets, eclectic tables. It's usually crowded, which is part of the ambiance of the place.

For a really special (think your 5th anniversary dinner), L'Auberge is exceptional. Be prepared to put a dent in your credit card, but you'll enjoy a very special evening. L'Auberge is on Monte Verde between Ocean and 7th.

Can you tell......I love Carmel!

And PGDenizen....thanks for agreeing about Flying Fish. It's easy to miss, but worth the visit.