We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Bonfire

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 14
Beach Bonfire

Hi all! My Fiance and I are spending two nights in the Monterey Peninsula area, and one of the nights we'd like to have a beach bonfire.

I've read the regulations, but I have a few questions:

1. Are there designated fire pits? If so, how many are there, and is it likely that there will be one available on a Saturday in mid May?

2. Where can we buy supplies? Primarily firewood and marshmallows. We'll be going to Point Lobos earlier that same day, so anywhere along the way would be perfect!

3. We'd like to buy some good food to have at the beach. Maybe a good pizza place? Or maybe sandwiches? Or if there's somewhere that sells good cheese that would also be perfect!

Thanks in advance for all the help! We can't wait to sit by a warm fire watching the sun set!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Beach Bonfire

Hi,

Funny, I was just researching the same topic. I called the Monterey State Parks direct line, here is what they said:

Monterey State Beach ( Del Monte), must be up the coast from the parking lot in the designated area. North of the rocks.

Carmel, fires must be past River Street.

Fires must be put out with water - not sand.

Telephone - if you have more questions.

831-649-2836

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Beach Bonfire

Location-Directions

The park is located at the Seaside exit off Highway 218, west of Highway 1.

Monterey, CA Latitude/Longitude: 36.6003 / -121.8936

That was their direct number to call: 831-649-2836 ( not mine - lol)

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Beach Bonfire

yum :)

Looks like great for take out

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g32737-d450…

Monterey Peninsula...
4. Re: Beach Bonfire

The previous poster is badly misinformed.

Monterey State Beach is nowhere near any rocks. It is immediately east of the Municipal Wharf, often called "Wharf #2" The beach extends to Seaside, where it is known as Del Monte Beach.

As for Carmel, there is no "River Street" there. Here are the official rules regarding Carmel: …carmel.ca.us/carmel/…

III. Warming Fires: The following restrictions apply to warming fires on the beach;

All warming fires must be extinguished by 10:00PM.

1. Warming fires are permitted only south of 10th Avenue.

2. No warming fires larger than 3’ x 3’ x 3’.

3. All warming fires must be at least 25 feet from the slopes.

4. Do not burn trash or any wood containing nails or sharp objects.

5. Extinguish warming fires with water not sand or leave the coals open and visible to pedestrians.

Just FYI, 10th Avenue is just a footpath where it intersects with Scenic Road above the beach. It is marked with a vertical sign, but it's not easy to see.

Rule #5 is important because coals can stay very hot buried under sand, and people have had their feet burned stepping on them.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:44 pm, March 06, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Beach Bonfire

thanks for the update!

I'm guessing the gal at the Monterey State Beach office is maybe new and a little mixed up ?:(

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
6. Re: Beach Bonfire

I'm curious... is this a popular activity in Carmel? I'm always stumped where to send people for the type of sunset-watching that you find in Hawaii, with people just sitting on the beach.

Monterey Peninsula...
7. Re: Beach Bonfire

Beach fires are a longstanding Carmel tradition, going back more than a century. Still very popular, routine even.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

New Jersey
reviews: 68
8. Re: Beach Bonfire

Listen to Mr. Toy or hire a company to set it up for you. We did the latter last August. For $150, Romantic Designs sets it up for you at Carmel beach. They provide instructions on where they will set up, which was not too difficult to find. We scheduled it for 7:30 which was time when the sun went down. We arrived a bit earlier to make sure there was enough daylight to find them. The company provided enough firewood to last till 10 pm. They also put together a smores package, bottled water, and a blanket for the sand. It was awesome. Not too many beaches in NJ that allows you to have an open fire. The fire was warm and perfect for the chilly, foggy air. Worth every penny although you can probably do it more about a third. Then again. You're on vacation. Spend the time sightseeing versus going to Safeway and looking for stuff.

9. Re: Beach Bonfire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 01, 2014