We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Playa boycott and reservations

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
La Playa boycott and reservations

We are planning a 30th anniv trip in mid July and thought La Playa met our needs...beautiful grounds, walking distance for Carmel shops and restaurants, pampering, etc. but just noticed that the hotel is being boycotted by past employees. Do you think this will still be happening in July (mid-week), we want a peaceful and relaxing visit. We looked at L'Auberge, consistently excellent reviews but felt La Playa's grounds and rooms more beautiful BUT websites can be deceiving. Also looked at Hyatt Highlands and Tickle Pink but liked the idea of "walkability", also summer fog could block views (only reason to stay there???) and both seemed in need of updates. Any info would be appreciated, it's my first time to Carmel and want our 30th want it to be ultra special!

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 36
1. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

I think you need to find out what the boycott actually means... are they picketing the hotel every day? Or are there rallies on specific days? This apparently has been going on for over a year, so there may not be daily picketing. Calling the hotel, though, in this case, will probably not give accurate info... are there recent reviews of the hotel on TA? Perhaps a local newspaper office can give you more accurate, updated info?

massachusetts
2. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

Thanks for the quick reply...TA's reviews have no mention of the boycotts. However this past Friday they did have a picket line/rally with police presence...will keep looking at the TA reviews. Do you have any insight into L'Auberge?

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 36
3. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

I've never stayed there (L'Auberge), but a friend who likes small, luxury hotels really likes this place.

Edited: 3:29 pm, February 17, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

Both the Highlands Inn and the Tickle PInk are gorgeous properties, but as noted are outside the village by quite a ways. It is commomly foggy on the coast early in the morning, but it typically burns off by late morning.

Sorry...I haven't stayed at L'Auberge, so can't help you there.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 68
5. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

I would also find out what the issues are between the former employees and this hotel before deciding to stay there - this may or may not be a business that you want to support.

Here is some information from the labor side of things: http://www.laplayahotelunfair.org/

Oakville, Ontario
reviews: 18
6. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

I would pick LAubrege.....lovely, great part of town, my friends loved it. Yes the others are off beaten track for walking. The La Playa shut down quickly last year and went under renovation much to the dismay of employees. They are making it a high end place. You cant even eat in restauarant without staying there anymore. Location is ok but I would pick L'Aubrege (sorry for spelling.)

reviews: 687
7. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

La Playa is a beautiful property. A champagne breakfast buffet is now included with your room there. I toured the newly remodeled rooms and they are very nice. We love the heated pool there and the the grounds are just gorgeous here.

Tickle Pink Inn is another favorite of ours in the Highlands area. :).

S.F. Bay Area
reviews: 9
8. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

I am typing from room 408 at La Playa with the most incredible views on site! Wonderful new staff, who did a simply amazing job on my sister's (fairly moderate sized) wedding last month. Mary, the hotel's new manager is top notch material, and I cannot say enough good things about Samantha and the event planning staff, who went far above & beyond to make certain this occasion was a memorable one for every one of the attendees!

The champagne buffet in the AM is the icing on the cake of a newly stamped (hadn't stayed prior to all the previous employee commotion..), and very lovely place to enjoy the incredible & picturesque town & coastline of Carmel!

As a side note, we went up to Tickle Pink, and the Inn is badly showing it's age. Also, the Highlands inn, while the public areas remain well-maintained, and the dining at Pacific Edge & the casual California Market Cafe, remain top notch ... but the accommodations are in desperate need of freshening. I overheard a discussion regarding a timeshare pitch while lounging in the main lobby, and was appalled at what my ears were communicating to my cerebrum -- simply amazing, what these thieves want to nail folks for, given the present condition of the formerly 5* rated resort..

Alo)(a, NKO

reviews: 687
9. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

So glad you are enjoying La Playa! We will be back in the area soon.. can't wait! :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
10. Re: La Playa boycott and reservations

We stayed at La Playa two weeks ago. There was no sign of a boycott. It's a lovely hotel with a superb staff. It's important to choose your room carefully. Some have ocean views but many face the street. Some of the best rooms are the ground floor ones that have private patios and the large family rooms near the pool are lovely too. Even though it's been recently renovated, it's still an older building so those expecting the amenities of a Ritz Carlton may be disappointed.

When you stay at La Playa, you have the feeling that you are staying in a guest house of some early 20th century robber baron.