We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bombay, India
reviews: 5
Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

Hello. It’s down to Cypress Inn & Lamplighter Inn for our 4 night stay this May. I’ve pretty much looked at every Hotel & B & B in Carmel & these are our top picks.

After reading all the reviews, I still can’t make up my mind. Lamplighter is fairytale-esque & may be quieter, which is important to us. But Cypress Inn has a restaurant & everything about it sounds delicious. Lamplighter closer to the beach, Cypress closer to the shops... but both only 5 minutes apart? Please help!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
1. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

It's really a matter of tastes and preferences. Both are nice. If a priority is being closer to the beach, then you might prefer Lamp Lighter since it's easier to take, say, an early morning pre-breakfast walk on the beach if you're early risers. Also, if you prefer the B&B experience, then Lamp Lighter will give you that. If you prefer the amenities of a full-service hotel--a bar, in-hotel dining, afternoon tea by the fireplace--and if you want to be out the door and in the middle of the shopping district, then go with Cypress. I don't know if this will be an issue for you, but Cypress is very pet-friendly, so there will be dogs around. At Lamp Lighter, they have a few pet-friendly rooms, but nothing like Cypress. As you said, they are quite close to each other--it's a small town.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

curious -- what transport are you using to get there with all that discussion about a private driver and car, it may help others in future if you can share your travel logistics

Monterey Peninsula...
3. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

Cypress may be busier on the inside, but it's on a very quiet street near the SW corner of the business district. The grounds of the Lamp Lighter may be a bit calmer, but it is on Ocean Avenue, the town's busiest street. Otherwise, the differences in location aren't worth worrying about. They're probably less than five minutes apart on foot.

If you're looking for an elegant, glamorous hotel, Cypress is your place. If you prefer a cute and cozy inn, go with Lamp Lighter.

If you still can't decide, flip a coin.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 2:49 am, February 02, 2013
Bombay, India
4. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

We are leaning towards the Cypress Inn. My concern was not so much street noise, but noise from the Inn itself... the lounge, restaurant etc, which the reviews say gets noisy. The dogs are actually a pro, not a con... The principal reason for not going with the Lamplighter is the unavailability of a specific room we wanted, the Sea Lion.

Belomiser, the car service thing is actually working out very well & much cheaper than I was told. I contacted just about every company I could think of. USD 600 SF to Yosemite, in a SUV, all taxes & tips included. We are now doing SF to Carmel, USD 350, again a SUV. This is with a very reliable company. I’m just waiting to tie up loose ends & will then post the details on the car service thread in the SF forums.

Thank you all for your help & suggestions.

reviews: 723
5. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

Hope you enjoy your time in Carmel! We recently had a lovely meal at little Napoli there. The Cypress Inn is a gorgeous hotel and Terry's has very good food! :)

Bombay, India
6. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

Thank you, Syrahgirl : )

7. Re: Back & Forth, Back & Forth!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2014