We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help selecting the perfect b&b

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
110 posts
58 reviews
Need help selecting the perfect b&b

My husband and I will be staying at the Vagabond's House inn next October for 4 nights. My friend and her husband would like to be near us but have these requirements:

Quaint and charming (no motel style)

Under $200 per night

parking available

breakfast

within walking distance to the Vagabond's House

This is a very tall order! I ruled out several properties which are too far away from the center and the Vagabond's House (Colonial Terrace and Sandpiper)

Now we must make a choice:

Horizon inn

Green Lantern

Normandy Inn

Fireplace Inn

Briarwood Inn

Seems that the more you try to economize in Carmel, the more negative reviews appear on TA (paper thin walls, dirty carpeting, poor customer service etc). All of the properties listed above have many disturbing reviews. The five above all fit their budget, is there one in the group which you would recommend?

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
1. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

I can only comment on the location and exterior appearance of these properties. I have little or no first-hand experience with any of them.

Green Lantern is the farthest from Vagabonds, but relatively close to the beach. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood just outside the business district. It's uphill all the way to Vagabonds.

Normandy is about a block or so closer to Vagabonds than Green Lantern. It's on Ocean Avenue which is the town's main street. It's a very charming property, with a good reputation. Full of traditional Carmel charm. It's just a few blocks from the beach.

I believe Fireplace and Briarwood are under the same ownership. I applied for work there many years ago. They're directly across the street from each other. Briarwood is laid out much like a motel - a row of rooms with a parking lot in front. Fireplace has nicer grounds, with a small patio/garden area if memory serves. The layout is rather compact, somewhat like an apartment complex. I think they're the shortest walk to Vagabonds.

Horizon is at the NE corner of the business district. Like Briarwood, it is somewhat motel-ish in appearance, but definitely more upscale than a motel. It is the highest elevation of all the properties you list, and a fairly good climb back from Vagabonds.

That's the best rundown I can offer.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

It's hard to add much to Mr Toy's excellent rundown. I have not seen the interiors of most the B&Bs in Carmel. However, it seems that Normandy Inn gets consistently high marks from travelers, as well as from one of our destination experts who is a seasoned traveler. If you think that the location will suit your needs, then your friends can probably not go wrong with the Normandy Inn.

Level Contributor
29,804 posts
790 reviews
3. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

We have enjoyed two great stays at The Normandy! :)

Denver
Level Contributor
110 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

thanks for your advice. My friend will be reserving the Normandy as you all have suggested.

San Mateo CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

Too bad you're crossing Sandpiper off your list. We have stayed there many, many times through the years and never found the location to be a negative. It is a quick drive to the Ocean Ave.

Just a wonderful place!

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

GREEN LANTERN my vote,.....great breakfast, lovely cottages, different configurations (fireplace or bath or singles or queens)...great location, 4 blocks from beach and just off OCEAN main street (actually 7th and Casanova)....stay there every april

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

The Normandy Inn gets my vote.

8. Re: Need help selecting the perfect b&b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 28, 2014