We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time to SFO on Monday morning

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
miami
reviews: 46
Travel time to SFO on Monday morning

I have a flight Monday morning which departs at 1:30pm.

Due to heavy baggage, upon arriving at SFO, I will need to use curbside luggage service and then return a rental car.

I'm assuming that I will be hitting some morning commute traffic and I do not want to be rushed upon arrival at the airport.

What time should I leave Carmel?

Which route do you recommend?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
1. Re: Travel time to SFO on Monday morning

Even if you want to get to SFO two hours early (11:30), you can leave Carmel around 9:30. You don't get into the heavier rush hour traffic until just south of San Jose, and by the time you get there, the worst of it will be over (10:45). A nicer and less-heavily-traveled route is to take 101 N to 85 N to 280 N. Then take the Hwy 380 east link and take the airport exit. It sounds much more complicated than taking 101 all the way, but, in fact, it' doesn't take longer, and it's a more pleasant drive. And if there is going to be a traffic jam for some reason, it's much more likely to be on 101.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Travel time to SFO on Monday morning

As was discussed here: tripadvisor.com/…45749229

... it sounds like you are more than one person travelling. How many people are travelling? It is difficult-to-impossible to leave a vehicle unattended curbside at SFO. In fact, airport cops don't even like attended cars parked at the curb unless conspicuous loading or unloading is occurring. So whether or not you'll be able to leave the car at the curb while you use curbside checkin may be problematic.

In the past I have parked in short term parking, done my checkin and then returned the rental.

It's 2 hours or so via 101N. Given your flight time there's no reason to account for rush hour traffic. But you should plan on being at the airport at least 2 hours in advance to do the bag check and rental return.

3. Re: Travel time to SFO on Monday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 27, 2013