We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years eve dinner and live music

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point...
reviews: 2
New years eve dinner and live music

Hello Carmel forum,

I've never been to carmel before and we're going to be there 2 nights over new years. We are staying downtown and looking for a nice romantic but not stuffy place for dinner and then a place to spend the evening hopefully walking distance from downtown. We don't care about views since it will be dark by the time we go to dinner, and we'll be doing lots of hiking during the day. The main thing we are looking for is ambiance (something unique, rustic, romantic, great decor) and great food (a great chef or unique menu and good wines), we also love some live music but that can be a separate after dinner destination. We are a married couple in our low 30s and just want to have a fun and romantic new years together.

Let me know if you have any advice! We will be going to mission ranch for brunch one day, so prefer to keep it downtown for new years eve evening.

Jules

Monterey Peninsula...
1. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

Carmel is a pretty sleepy town on new years eve. Fortunately, the town is loaded with restaurants fitting your description. You'll find several on every block. They cover a wide range of styles, and tend to be relatively small, intimate places. There's just too many to list here. My standard advice is to just stroll the streets until you find something that appeals to you. Pick a street at random and chances are, given your criteria, that you won't have to walk more than half a block. Really.

Live music is a little harder to come by in Carmel. Live music in any commercial establishment that served alcohol (i.e. every restaurant in town) was actually illegal in Carmel until a few years ago, and few restaurants provide it now.

The center of new years eve celebrations is in downtown Monterey, where they have an annual First Night celebration. There are musical events all over downtown for several hours, and the purchase of a badge will get you into any of them. It's an alcohol-free event and quite safe, but very crowded. More info: http://www.firstnightmonterey.org/

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 3:48 am, December 04, 2012
Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

I did find one New Years Eve event in Carmel at the Golden Bough Playhouse called Twist & Shout 2012. I think it starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are a little spendy at $75. Here's the description:

"PacRep’s annual New Years Eve Party and exclusive limited run of the 2012 Twist and Shout Tribute Concert – From Buddy to Elvis! Audiences are encouraged to “dance in the aisles” at the Golden Bough Playhouse with performances by "Buddy Holly", “Jerry Lee Lewis”, “Elvis”, “Leslie Gore” “Ritchie Valens”, “Sam Cooke’, “Dusty Springfield”, “Bob Dylan”, “The Big Bopper” and more – created live on stage by PacRep favorites singing crowd-pleasing hits of yester-year!"

More info: http://www.pacrep.org/

-Mr. Toy

Edited: 3:59 am, December 04, 2012
Dana Point...
reviews: 2
3. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

Thanks for the ideas, I like the idea of strolling around the streets and finding what fits us! Just wanted to make sure everything isnt booked up like in some towns, where the early bird gets the worm.

reviews: 716
4. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

Right before Thanksgiving we had a lovely dinner at Grasing's. Casanova is another great place for dinner. :)

Monterey Peninsula...
5. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

I expect that on New Years Eve the restaurants may be busier than usual, but their numbers are sufficient to handle much bigger event crowds, like the AT&T Golf Tournament.

-Mr. Toy

La Conner...
reviews: 15
6. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

I agree, Grasings is a really nice place for New Years Eve dinner. We went there last year and we're doing it again this year.

Carmel, California
7. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

Hi there-

Im Cindy;the Box office Manager with Pacific Repertory Theatre of Carmel. New Years Eve we're presenting our annual Twist and Shout Concert. A fun evening of 50s and 60s music, desserts and wine all for $75 per person starting at 8.30 PM.We are two blocks from 'downtown' Carmel.

For casual dining preshow we like Tommys Wok (Chinese Seafood), Mundaka (Tapas), Jack London (Gastro Pub), Grasings (CaliforniaCoastalCuisine). All those are 3-6 blocks from our theater The Golden Bough Playhouse.

Hope you can join us to Rock in the New Year

www.pacrep.org @PacRepTheatre

reviews: 716
8. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

Sounds like a nice way to spend New Year's Eve! Le St Tropez is another wonderful place to dine in Carmel. :)

9. Re: New years eve dinner and live music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 07, 2014