We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
921 posts
32 reviews
carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

will be on monerey peninsula dec 23-26. any recommendations for upscale christmas dinner in carmel, monerey, pebble bch?

looking for personal recommendations- have already perused several area restaurant reviews on TA.

thanks for any help!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
1. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

You might want to peruse last week's discussions about Thanksgiving recommendations, as most of the places that serve Thanksgiving dinner do the same for Christmas. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32172-i187-k58944…

and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580824-i10632-k58…

Pacific's Edge at the Highlands Inn just south of Carmel is one of the best upscale choices. Probably the best views of any restaurant on the Peninsula. It's mentioned in the newspaper article I referenced in both of the Thanksgiving threads.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
31,011 posts
818 reviews
2. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

We dined at Grasing's here in Carmel last night and it was excellent . They are open according to opentable. Anton & Muchel is another very nice place here that shows availability on opentable. :

Edited: 10:40 am, November 21, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

The Hyatt Monterey has a traditional thanksgiving dinner buffet. The views are not like the sister property pacific edge mentioned above, but it is right on the golf course. The other option is Asilomar. Not as fancy as the Hyatt but very attractive and about $45 per person.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
1 review
4. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

I am not a Monterey local, so I don't know the best places to eat, but I bet that the Sierra Mar Restaurant or the Mission Ranch Inn would be memorable (in a good way) experiences. Go right before sunset to get the views. http://missionranchcarmel.com/restaurant.html http://www.postranchinn.com/dining/

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
5. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

Mission Ranch is great if you enjoy an upscale rustic atmosphere. It can be kinda noisy there, though. It's a lively place!

-Mr. Toy

Level Contributor
31,011 posts
818 reviews
6. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

Mission Ranch is very good and is in a beautiful setting. Also check Roy's in Pebble Beach which is in a gorgeous setting with ocean views. :)

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

Hi mac1075,

Would you consider Carmel Valley? It's often sunny there when it's foggy along the coast.

Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley has two restaurants: the rather pricey Marinus is open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings from 6-9pm. It's won lots of awards and has a huge wine list.

Wickets Bistro is open for b, l, d, daily. Definately make reservations online or call (831) 658-3595

The chef uses lots of local organic produce. The last time we ate there he was focusing on mushrooms and we had an amazing mushroom pizza.

Enjoy.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.AuthenticLuxuryTravel.net

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
8. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

Just FYI regarding Carmel Valley weather. In December coastal fog is not an issue, so there's no need to escape it. Winter weather in Carmel Valley is pretty much the same as the coastal areas, except that the valley can get a colder at night because it doesn't have the ocean to moderate temperatures. The valley can also get more rain.

But the valley restaurant recommendations are valid.

-Mr. Toy

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
921 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

thank you all for the recommendations....narrowing it down - will report back on what we chose, how it was..thank you all again.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
921 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: carmel/monterey/pb - christmas dinner recommendations?

we've just returned from a wonderful christmas holiday on the peninsula. we based our stay in pacific grove. i wanted to give a quick review here of where we ate, extending thanks to all of you who made such great suggestions.

on the 23rd, we wandered over to carmel on a rainy evening and wound up at vesuvio's. we settled into the bar area and enjoyed a couple appetizers (artichoke fritters were reaally good) and a couple of very good pizzas, washed down with a good red wine.

on the 24th, we made reservations at roy's at the inn at spanish bay. we've eaten at other roys, so we had some expectation of what we were in for. we could only get a late reservation at 8:15, and were seated a few minutes late as they were very busy. the time waiting was well spent seated near the fireplace in the lobby with a glass of red wine. dinner was very good, service was excellent.

christmas day we found our way along 17 mile drive and decided to stop at the lodge at pebble beach just to see how it was "christmased". our wanderings led us to the tap room for a beer and appetizer, a perfect reprise before an early dinner. we decided on anton and michele's for dinner. we could only get a 5pm reservation as we decided so late. we're not accustomed to eating so early. we arrived on time and our table was ready. i feared eating so early we might be gently rushed to turn over the table for a later waiting reservation. much to our pleasant surprise, we were not at all rushed. service was attentive and not at all pushy. we had a tableside made caesar, followed by entrees of duck, rack of lamb, and the veal shank. everyone enjoyed the food and the entire experience.

having completed dinner relatively early, and it being christmas night and all, we sought an after dinner drink somewhere in carmel. we quickly learned that our choices were very limited and we found ourselves at sadies. it came as no surprise to me as i have a penchant for finding the local "dive' bars. it turned out a great time. the bar filled with locals and visitors alike. i drank mostly water as i was driving bak to PG on a rainy night, and managed to enjoy myself more than i'd expect. the bartender even brought in homemade christmas cookies she had baked earlier that day.

thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. by the way, we really wanted to go to mission ranch, but they were closed for dinner on christmas day, and already fully booked on christmas eve....oh well, next trip!