We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Hollywood to Carmel

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario, canada
reviews: 115
West Hollywood to Carmel

I have a student staying in Hollywood who would like to get to Carmel before he has to leave Cali. He doesn't have a ton of money and he cannot drive. Greyhound does not go to Carmel - how best to get him there?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

It is hard to see the Monterey Coast if the student just visits Carmel. Getting there is one thing, seeing that area without a car is hard with the public transit. Carmel is the most expensive part of the Monterey Coast

Would this be an option to see the whole coast instead of just Carmel

greentortoise.com/adventures/california.coas…

The tour starts from SF so a one way ticket on Southwest may be needed

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

Greyhound probably goes to Salinas and then the local bus system would get him to Monterey/Carmel. Amtrak train might work, as well.

Either way, it will be a LONG day of travel.

Edited: 3:39 pm, November 03, 2012
Monterey Peninsula...
3. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

Actually, Amtrak is probably the best option. Amtrak coach fares are very affordable. It's slower than driving, but the ride is very pleasant, and the scenery en route is wonderful. Round-trip coach fares would likely be in the $70-90 range, give or take, depending on your travel dates.

The Coast Starlight stops in Salinas, and Amtrak provides a dedicated bus for passengers going to and from the Monterey Peninsula. If the train is late, the bus will wait for you.

The bus makes five stops in Monterey and one about a mile south of Carmel - a Chevron station at the intersection of Highway 1 and Rio Road. From there you could take a taxi into town. But a better option would be to get off the bus at the Monterey Transit Plaza and take a local transit bus right into downtown Carmel.

Coat Starlight info page: http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

Coast Starlight timetable (includes connecting bus timetable): amtrak.com/ccurl/…0.pdf

Monterey-Salinas Transit Monterey-Carmel route list (see routes 4&5): http://www.mst.org/maps-schedules/route-list/

Note: Last time I rode Amtrak there was no extra charge for the Salinas-Monterey Amtrak bus, BUT you do need a separate Amtrak ticket for the bus. Make sure you reserve the bus when you reserve your train seat. For first-timers on Amtrak I suggest you call 1-800-USA-RAIL and talk to an experienced agent. When "Julie" comes on and asks what you want say "Agent."

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Monterey Peninsula...
4. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

One more thing, there are some affordable motels within easy walking distance of the Monterey Transit Plaza. By staying there your student could have easy bus access to Carmel and the entire Monterey Peninsula.

-Mr. Toy

Edited: 6:49 pm, November 03, 2012
Monterey Peninsula...
5. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

OOPS! I made a boo-boo above. I was looking at ONE-WAY Amtrak fares, not round-trip, when I gave ballpark figures above. Sorry!

-Mr. Toy

reviews: 709
6. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

www.carmelcalifornia.com is a nice website for this area. We were just there on Thurs.! :)

ontario, canada
reviews: 115
7. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

You guys rock, thanks so much. Sent him the info!

8. Re: West Hollywood to Carmel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 09, 2013