We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, Texas...
Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

1. We will have a tour at about 1:20pm on 11/19 at Hearst Castle. We are thinking about sticking around for another hour. According to the Google Map, it's about 1.5 hour to Big Sur and another 40 min to Carmel. I would like to know if it worth to take stops during the drive? and how long it takes if we did to see some great views? and where is a great spot for sunset during the drive?

2. We would like to stay in Carmel, Monterey for the next day, which is 11/20. Not sure if we should stay at Carmel, Monterey, or Pacific Grove? We will leave for SF after sunset I believe. We are five young adults, intend to save some money.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

2. We would like to stay in Carmel, Monterey for the next day, which is 11/20. Not sure if we should stay at Carmel, Monterey, or Pacific Grove? We will leave for SF after sunset I believe. We are five young adults, intend to save some money.

You should stay at any one of these places where you can find lodgings that fit you and fit your budget. They are literally minutes from each other.

PGDenizen, a DE for this area, often suggests Andril Fireplace Cottages in Pacific Grove. They have a Suite Collage as well as 2 bedroom ones which might suit you.

http://www.andrilcottages.com/

Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

1. Driving Highway 1 can be fairly slow going, so I would allow at least 2 hours without stops. You'll probably average only 35-40mph on that route. Some places you can get it up to 50, but there are areas where the road is so narrow and twisty that you'll only be going about 25.

Just FYI, sunset on 11/19 is 4:56pm, so factor that into your plans.

2. Carmel's lodgings are likely to be higher priced than Pacific Grove and Monterey, but you might luck out and find a bargain. Pacific Grove has a number of affordable motels in the forested area on the west side of town, mostly on Lighthouse Avenue and Asilomar Drive. There's also a cheap and basic motel called Borgs which is right across the street from the bay at Lovers Point. From all accounts its clean, but nothing fancy, and the views can't be beat at any price.

Monterey has an affordable area called "motel row" on Munras Avenue. It has the advantage of being centrally located, 5-7 minutes from Carmel or 3-5 minutes from downtown Monterey. Just east of downtown is a decent motel called the Monterey Bay Lodge, which is just a block or so from the beach and about a 15-20 minute walk to the wharf and harbor area. You might want to check out my "Where should we stay?" page for more detailed info on each neighborhood. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 4:14 am, October 27, 2012
reviews: 714
3. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

My daughter and her fiance have stayed twice at Borg's in Pacific Grove and loved the location of this hotel. It is a no-frills place but is right across the street from the ocean and is very reasonably price, about $99/night.

In Carmel, The Normandy Inn is a nice property right in the heart of downtown Carmel. We enjoyed a very nice stay there last Fall. :)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

Is there any way you can change your tour time? You're going to end up driving part of Highway 1 in the dark if you don't. Either that or you're going to have to leave Hearst Castle immediately after your tour to start the drive up and, even then, you won;t make it to Carmel before dark. It will get dark just after 5PM in November.

San Simeon to Carmel is a 3 hour drive, but with stops to take in the views/sights, could turn into at least a 4-6 hour drive.

Some of the sights en route:

Elephant seal rookery (15-20 minutes)

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (15-30 minutes)

Pfeiffer Beach (At least a one hour detour from Highway 1)

Bixby Bridge (15-20 minutes)

Edited: 4:49 pm, October 27, 2012
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
5. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

I agree with the suggestion of Borg's Motel in Pacific Grove. It's basic but comfortable, and its location across the street from the water is fantastic.

Auckland
reviews: 79
6. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

Lovers Point Inn in Pacific Grove is also good, also just across the road from the ocean. We got a room with a view (on the third floor) for $100 including breakfast. Main area of room had been refurbished fairly recently, bathroom is small and a bit dated but perfectly functional. Microwave in room. I think the motel mentioned by others may be just in front of this hotel, wouldn't think there would be a view from there as it is lower down.

The staff at Lovers Point are very welcoming and helpful.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
7. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

Just to clarify, Borg's does have views as long as you're on the bay side of the hotel (the front). It's literally steps from the water.

8. Re: Need suggestions in Carmel, Monterey Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 30, 2013