We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
reviews: 93
Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I've gone back and forth A MILLION times on trying to decide on our lodging in Carmel. I, at first, was ready to book the Cypress Inn, as we prefer places that have restaurants/bar, but I really want our room to have a king bed w/ a fireplace as we will be there in Feb. Lamplighter and Normandy offer better prices for those types of rooms. The trade off is no restaurant/bar, but that's ok.

I realize these are older properties, so everything won't be new, so by "nicer" I mean overall condition of rooms/bathrooms/furnishings and relatively clean and updated property.

I can get a much better rate at Normandy Inn and I can even book their 600 sq ft cottage suite for $14 less a night, but I'm willing to pay more at the Lamplighter if it's "nicer".

Thanks!

Monterey Peninsula...
1. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

While I don't have any first-hand experience staying at either property, both have solid reputations, and they are fairly similar in style and appearance. They are well maintained, so their age isn't really a factor. They're only about a block apart. The Lamp Lighter is a tad closer to the beach, while the Normandy is a little closer to shops and restaurants. That might tip the scales ever so slightly towards the latter since you prefer to have food and drink at hand. Otherwise, it's a toss-up. So save your brain cells and either toss a coin or go with the best rate.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 1:29 am, October 15, 2012
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 344
2. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Go with the Normandy as the rates are better - and as mentioned both properties are pretty equal in what they have to offer. That way you can use the money on something else....Have a good trip.

Orlando
3. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Ok, thanks for the input. I've booked the cottage at Normandy Inn.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
4. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Can you please let us know your thoughts when you stay there.

Orlando
5. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

We aren't going until Feb, but I'll be happy to report back, eagle :-)

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Thank you. I know someone going there at the end of this week, and they've booked into the Normandy on the way to SF. I'll report back for you.

Orlando
7. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Excellent! Thank you

reviews: 685
8. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

We stayed at Normandy last Fall and loved it! Our room was upstairs with a view of the pool. Lovely property and in a prime location. They offer sherry and homemade cookies in the evening which is a nice touch and a good breakfast in their breakfast room in the morning.

Even tho you aren't staying at Cypress, go to Terry's Lounge for a meal. They have great food and drinks there. Have fun! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
9. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I have no business answering this question because of the number of years it has been since we stayed in Carmel. Lots of years ago we loved the Lamplighter. It was a very romantic venue at that time. I think, however, for amenities, etc., now that I am older, I would choose the Normandy Inn.

Remember, that is a FWIW.

Orlando
10. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I called Normandy Inn tonight regarding a few questions I had about the cottage suites and they were friendly and helpful. It helped me decide to switch my reservation to a deluxe king with fireplace and dressing room. She pointed out that the suites were spacious, but bathrooms very small.

So far so good.