We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Big Sur

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rex, Georgia...
reviews: 2
San Francisco to Big Sur

We are arriving into SFO at 12n on Wednesday and were thinking of making the drive down to Big Sur; and then driving back later on that evening. Is this too much of a daunting task or should we overnight somewhere. We leave SFO to LAX the next day at 10p so we want to get some SFO sights in before we leave. Any thoughts?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

Sorry what are you trying to do ? Drive from SFO the airport to Big Sur Village and then where do you plan to spend the night? At Big Sur Village ? Monterey ?

It is about a 3 hour drive to the Village area one way and with no stops

If you want to see SF then it is 13 miles north of SFO the airport and would suggest you stay in SF and no car is needed. 1.5 days is too short a time to see SF and adding more cities would not be recommended

Edited: 1:38 pm, August 14, 2012
Rex, Georgia...
2. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

Thank you, Yes I'm flying into SFO and I really want to see both Big Sur and San Francisco; it sounds like I really don't have enough time. Do you have any suggestions?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

Well if this is just a driving vacation sure go ahead and drive to Big Sur village and drive back and perhaps stay in Santa Cruz and join the Wed am rush hour traffic to get to SF and spend the hours in SF and have dinner and drop your car off at SFO

Can you do this. Yes. Would I do it. Nope. I would do one or the other. Most folks spend 2 or 3 days in SF and then drive Hwy1 to LA. But I guess you have your tickets already

Edited: 2:09 pm, August 14, 2012
Rex, Georgia...
4. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

Yes, I do. However I will seriously think of what you have said and maybe I can do the drive from Los Angeles North or South for a few hours since I will be in LA for 2 whole days. Thank you so much for the advice.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
5. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

The drive north of LA is no where near as dramatic as that of Big Sur. In 2 hours, you'll only get as far as Santa Barbara. The drive is through a good deal of large beach cities on multi lane freeway.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
6. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

And two hours south of LA gets you into San Diego county. But it's not countryside. LA and its environs are so large that it takes a long way to get out of the Metro area.

7. Re: San Francisco to Big Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 20, 2013