We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Playa reopens, but......

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey Peninsula...
La Playa reopens, but......

Good news and bad news:

The good news: The historic La Playa hotel in Carmel is reopening this weekend after being closed for renovations.

The bad news: The new owners only rehired 2 of 113 employees who were let go when the building was closed last fall. Both of them are housekeepers. The local union reports that most of the 85 union members who once worked there are still unemployed. I haven't heard how many actually reapplied, but I suspect most of them probably did. For travelers, this means there is virtually nobody now working at the hotel to carry on the institutional memory of the historic property, nobody to recognize regular guests, and probably nobody (save for two housekeepers) who know and can explain the hotel's history, beyond a few basic facts. What a shame.

Here's a recent news story from the local newspaper: montereyherald.com/local/ci_21064658/carmels…

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

reviews: 719
1. Re: La Playa reopens, but......

We've always loved La Playa and hope to stay there in the Fall. Too bad about the workers . :(

Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: La Playa reopens, but......

Syragirl, I'll be interested in your report come fall. A "before" and "after" comparison, perhaps?

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

3. Re: La Playa reopens, but......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 16, 2013