We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Keller, Texas
reviews: 57
Need help

My husband and I are taking a last minute getaway next week to Carmel. We need a clean, romantic place on the water. Any suggestions? Thanks

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
1. Re: Need help

I couldn't say about availability at this late date without checking, but I can tell you that Carmel doesn't have any lodging on the water. There are a few with views, but they are not near the ocean. Nevertheless, you can still find some very nice B&Bs that I think you'd enjoy--depends on your price range. Take a look at L'Auberge Carmel, Normandy Inn, Lamp Lighter Inn.

If you don't mind being outside of Carmel proper, take a look at Tickle Pink Inn in the Carmel Highlands. It's romantic and has beautiful ocean views from up high on a hill. Next door is the Highlands Inn, which has two restaurants that you can walk to--California Market, the casual venue, and Pacific's Edge, the more formal one--very romantic. Tickle Pink is about a 10-minute drive from Carmel by the Sea.

In Pacific Grove, there are a few B&Bs across the street from the water with amazing views: Seven Gables Inn and Green Gables Inn. Pacific Grove is a quiet, less touristy town than Carmel, but it still has some very good restaurants and a gorgeous coastline that you can walk along on the recreation trail.

In Monterey, there's a special place called Old Monterey Inn--very pretty and romantic. It's in a residential neighborhood of Monterey, so no water views, but they have a lovely garden.

Keller, Texas
reviews: 57
2. Re: Need help

Wow, thanks so much. Very helpful!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Need help

Kibblesmom has some great suggestions and the Pacific Grove B&Bs are really lovely as are the two hotels on Carmel Highlands with amazing views from up high

By the way as you probably know, we don't recommend unclean places here on the California forums -- at least knowingly. LOL

I presume you are flying in to SJC and then driving down to Carmel.

Monterey Peninsula...
4. Re: Need help

There's a nice inn in Carmel located just a block inland from the beach called the Colonial Terrace. It's in a forested residential area, and a very romantic property. Might be the sort of thing you're looking for. http://www.thecolonialterrace.com/

Another nice property just outside the Carmel city limits is Mission Ranch. It's a former 19th Century dairy ranch, and most of the original buildings are still used. They have nice views of Carmel River Beach with a sheep pasture in the foreground, and several types of accommodations to suit a variety of needs and budgets. There's also a restaurant on site (serving dinner and Sunday brunch only). The Carmel Mission is a block away, the beach is about a 15 minute walk away. http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

Both are on my short list of places I'd stay if I didn't live here.

BTW, be glad there aren't many lodgings on the water here. It keeps our shoreline beautiful.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 2:28 am, June 29, 2012
reviews: 723
5. Re: Need help

Lobos Lodge is another one to check out, it is very close to the ocean. We have stayed at Normandy Inn and enjoyed it very much, it just a few blocks from the ocean and is located right in the heart of downtown Carmel on Ocean Ave.

www.carmelcalifornia.com is a great website for this beautiful town, have fun! :)

6. Re: Need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 01, 2013