We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick 17 mile drive.

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
reviews: 5
Quick 17 mile drive.

Ok, so we are staying overnight at the Clarion in Carmel on our way to Yosemite. Looks like we are minutes away from the south entrance of the 17 mile drive. My wife and I would love to see this historic drive, but we will only have a couple hours.

Is there a quick way through? Are there different routs, or is it just staying on one road as it loops through. I don't wanna get lost, just make a simple, mindless drive and enjoy the beauty.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Quick 17 mile drive.

They give you a map at the gate when you pay the entrance fee, so kinda hard to get lost. You don't have to drive the whole loop. Just follow the coast, exit at the Pacific Grove Gate or turn around and head back to Carmel.

It's not that big of an area, so can be done well within your time frame.

Edited: 8:12 pm, June 24, 2012
Phoenix
reviews: 5
2. Re: Quick 17 mile drive.

I kinda like doing loops so I don't have to double back and re-trace my steps. I will probably give the "Pacific grove gate" a shot. Maybe we can find some time to take a walk along the way.

Monterey Peninsula...
3. Re: Quick 17 mile drive.

if you like loops, bypass the Paciifc Grove gate and follow 17 MPH Drive (that's a joke, not a typo) up through the hills. You can exit at the Carmel Hill gate at Highway 1 and get right on the freeway. Along the way you'll drive through beautiful forests and be treated to views overlooking all of Pebble Beach and other views of Monterey and the bay from the Peninsula's ridgeline.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 4:54 am, June 25, 2012
4. Re: Quick 17 mile drive.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 27, 2013