We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dacula, Georgia...
reviews: 2
San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

I am planning a trip for my husband and I .....it's not til March (I'm a little OCD when it comes to travel planning)

He wants to golf Pebble Beach..a bucket list thing...and a little pricey so we will spend only 1 or 2 nights there, and since we are traveling from Georgia I figure we should make a week of it.

He's never been to San Francisco so I figured we would spend a couple nights there. Also we are wine lovers and since Napa is right there would hate to miss it.

I would also love to spend some time in Monterey. I guess what I am looking for is a plan of attack!

Any suggestions?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 7
1. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

Pebble Beach, Monterey & Carmel are all within the same area, so you can see all of them while there.

Here's a sample itinerary to get you started:

SF: 2 nights (3 would be better)

Napa: 2 nights

Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove: 2 nights (Pebble Beach, Point Lobos State Reserve, Big Sur, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row)

March weather can be pretty cool in California and there may be rain, but don't let that deter you. The California coast is gorgeous after it rains and our hills are a velvety green that time of year.

Edited: 8:10 am, June 24, 2012
Dacula, Georgia...
reviews: 2
2. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

I'll take any advice I can get! So much to do..so little time!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 7
3. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

Hi Trish

So how many actual days/nights will you have for this trip?

What is your budget for lodging and what type of lodgings do you prefer: Basic, traditional, modern, B&B?

You'll probably want to stay in Carmel or Pacific Grove, since both are closer to Pebble Beach than Monterey, although you're never far from anything on the Monterey Peninsula.

Try to coincide your stay in SF over the weekend, if possible, as lodgings in Napa and Monterey/Carmel will be cheaper mid-week.

Here's a website for the Monterey Peninsula with lodging links, things to do, places to eat, etc. to help get you started:

www.seemonterey.com

Monterey Peninsula...
4. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

Just one concern: If playing Pebble Beach is a lifelong dream, you might want to consider April instead of March. March weather can be fickle. Chances are about even that it will either be glorious or rainy. A light rain probably won't harm a golf game, but strong storms are still a distinct possibility in March. If it's an El Nino year (we're about due for one) the likelihood of a stormy March increases. You just never know. I'd hate to see you come all this way and catch one of those storms on your golf date. If you can't do April, late March is safer than early March.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 8:02 pm, June 24, 2012
Peoria
reviews: 93
5. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

I'm not a local but we are planning a trip that sounds very familiar to yours for the end of July (minus actually golfing Pebble Beach). We're there for a week; here's how we split up the time:

Fly into SF and stay Sat-Wed.

One of those days we have a day trip to Napa booked.

On Wed., rent a car in SF and drive down to Carmel where we have a B&B booked.

We'll stay in the Carmel area until Sat. when we fly out of SFO. In our time in Carmel, we are exploring Big Sur, as well as the Carmel/Monterey area. I think three days here would allow one day to be used mostly playing Pebble Beach with two other days to explore other things as well.

Edited: 4:25 pm, June 25, 2012
6. Re: San Fran/Napa/Pebble Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, June 27, 2013