We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mattapoisett, MA
reviews: 17
Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

We are staying in Carmel for 3 nights and may try to do a day at pinnacles national monument. Probably the west side. What is the best route to take and about how much time do we need to allow?

Thanks for any suggestions

Sue

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
1. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

Hi Sue

I've never been to Pinnacles, so don't know how much time to give it, but I can tell you how to get there.

From Monterey, take Highway 68 to Salinas and make a right turn onto E Blanco Road and continue to the southbound Highway 101 on ramp. From Southbound 101, continue to Soledad and watch for the exit signs to Pinnacles. It's pretty easy and I would estimate that the drive from Monterey to Soledad to be less than an hour.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 24
2. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

It takes us about an hour and 15 minutes from Monterey to the Pinnacles West parking lot.

Mattapoisett, MA
reviews: 17
3. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

Thanks! I've also read that River Road, which I think is parallel to 101 is very scenic. Is it also very slow?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 24
4. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

River Road is not particularly scenic. However, you can cut about ten minutes off the drive by taking it. You follow it around until it ends. Then you turn left and take the next right, where you pick up 101 South.

San Francisco...
reviews: 123
5. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

And if Pinnacles becomes a national park (nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/08/support-gr…) there will be lots more people making the day trip from Carmel.

6. Re: Drive from Carmel to pinnacles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 23, 2013