We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Altos...
Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

We will be in the area in the first week of August and are trying to decide between these 2 places. We want a place with a separate bedroom for the baby and also a pool for the 6 yr old.

Carmel Valley Ranch is more expensive ($410+$25 resort fee) than Mariposa Inn ($300). Is CVR worth the extra money? Also, which of these is more convenient to some beach, Monterey Bay acquarium, Point Lobos, Dennis the Menace park?

Any other recommendations for accommodations with a separate BR & a pool in the Carmel, Monterey, or Pacific Grove areas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Central Ca.
reviews: 3
1. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

Carmel Valley Ranch is about 10 mins E on Carmel Valley Road. It is not convenient to most places you mentioned except Point Lobos. Point Lobos is a couple of miles S of Carmel Valley Road on hwy 1. I have stayed at the Ranch many times and it is lovely. There are 2 restaurants, golf, swimming, etc...ergo the resort tax.

Maybe others will chime in about the Mariposa. The only thing I saw on Yelp is that it is noisy. But, I do believe it is close to the places you mentioned. It seemed to get mixed reviews.

Have you checked Monterey Plaza or the Clement in Monterey?

Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

The two properties you mention are as different as night and day.

Carmel Valley Ranch is a sprawling resort with a golf course on the property. It is fairly isolated, being about 6 miles east of Highway 1 and the Peninsula. It isn't really close to anything you mention you are interested in.

Mariposa is really just a fairly fancy motel, at the south end of an area known as "motel row." It is located on a major boulevard, just off the freeway. It is centrally located, and just a few short minutes drive to Carmel, downtown Monterey, Cannery Row and Dennis the Menace playground. However, it isn't close enough to walk to anything except the shopping mall across the street.

You might want to look over this page to see which Peninsula neighborhood best suits your interests. That will help narrow things down so we can better advise you. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/pltostay.htm

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:53 pm, July 08, 2011
Central Ca.
reviews: 3
3. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

CVR is quite close to Pt. Lobos, Mr T. Also, the OP should check on Yelp to read mixed reviews on Mariposa.

Also, if you haven't stayed there, it's hard to explain how nice it really is. Just for my future reference, have you seen the rooms at Mariposa?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
4. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

Given your two kids, I would suggest finding a place in Monterey as suggesed before and you are close to the aquarium and to the shops and restaurants and the bay. You wont need to drive and figure out parking and can do all the activities with your older kid (the family bikes are fun to rent). You can do the drive to Point Lobos , carmel beach or other points of interest if you like

reviews: 740
5. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch right before the renovations, it's an awesome place! If you want to stay closer to the action in Monterey, check out The Monterey Plaza, there is no pool there, tho. Another consideration is Portola Plaza, they do have an outdoor pool there.

Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Monterey Peninsula...
6. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

GWC, Carmel Valley Ranch is almost 10 miles from Point Lobos, so I wouldn't consider it "quite close". Mariposa Inn is about 6 miles from Point Lobos, so it is somewhat closer.

CVR is a nice property, but it doesn't really suit the OP's desire to be close to a beach, the aquarium, and other attractions.

I have never seen the inside of the Mariposa Inn.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 5:59 pm, July 09, 2011
Monterey, California
7. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

If you are looking to be near the action then Monterey is a great choice! Several hotels have pools including Casa Munras, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn and Hotel Abrego.

8. Re: Carmel valley ranch OR Mariposa Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 05, 2012