We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater still open?

Which Rincon de La Vieja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
Crater still open?

I am staying at Westin Playa Conchal in early August and really want to hike to the summit of Rincón de la vieja. I have heard that the trail to the summit is closed. Is this true? If it is, will it be open by August?

Thank you

19 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Crater still open?

Also wondering if it is closed, are there any similar hikes in the area?

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
2. Re: Crater still open?

As of today, the hike to the summit is closed. But there are "rumors" that it may be opening soon. You will need to check back later to find out any updates.

If you are planning on doing this hike from the Westin, make sure you understand that it's an all-day thing -- 6-8 hours -- and the Westin is 2 hours from the entrance to the National Park so plan accordingly. Sunset is around 5:30-5:45 pm and you definitely don't want to be in the Park after that. (Ranger freak-out over your car still in the parking lot, etc)

If the hike is still closed in August, you might take a look here: volcanoadventuretour.com/index.php…

Magog, Canada
3. Re: Crater still open?

Hi,

Where is it possible to find the information about the opening of the trails? we plan to go tomorrow, but how can we know if the crater will be closed?

Thank you

Costa Rica
4. Re: Crater still open?

Have your lodging call and ask them. I think the phone number is 2666-5051 or 2666-0630 but I'm sure your lodging will have correct numbers. (Yes, phone numbers are 8 digits)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Crater still open?

Is better to check once you are there...volcanos do not follow any schedule....they can be so nice today but terrible next day...

Roadadvisor

Magog, Canada
6. Re: Crater still open?

I called the Rincon de la Vieja National Park office (2666-5051) and they told me that the trail to get to the top is actually closed. I think it answers my question.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Crater still open?

Good to know ...and glad you found out...

roadadvisor

Edited: 10:51 am, April 25, 2013
guanacaste
reviews: 31
8. Re: Crater still open?

the crater should be open for hikers in the next month or 2 months,

there are new rules that will be in force

i think that by august it will be open

Toledo, Ohio
9. Re: Crater still open?

I only have a long weekend in Costa Rica. If the trail to the crater is closed, is the park still worth a visit? I don't want to spend too much driving when I only have four full days in Costa Rica. Any recommendations?

Costa Rica
10. Re: Crater still open?

The Park is definitely worth visiting, even if the trail to the crater is closed. However -- it will depend on where you will be in Costa Rica whether it is worth the drive or not. Where will you be staying during your four days?

Here's some more information: www.acguanacaste.ac.cr/1997/principaling.html Look on the left and click on "Visit the ACG." Then click on "Pailas."

Reply to: Crater still open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted