We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guide - Rincon de la Vieja

Which Rincon de La Vieja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rahway, New Jersey
reviews: 103
guide - Rincon de la Vieja

I thought I read here that we could drive there and hire a guide in the parking lot -true? I can'tseem to find the thread now. If so about how much would it cost to go to La Cangreja?

Midland, Texas
reviews: 128
1. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

Have hiked in the Rincon de La Vieja NP twice-- to the summit and just in the park...Once there were people meeting up with guides at the ranger station--the other time no one was really around at all. Both times we had made arrangements ahead of time through Hacienda Guachipelin for a guide. We were glad to have a guide. The park's trails are well marked and maps are available at the ranger station. You could do the La Cangreja without a guide--maybe a 3 mile hike, but would miss out on lots of the details and stories of the area.

Keep in mind that the park is closed on Mondays and does not take bills larger than $20 US.

Rahway, New Jersey
2. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

We are back. We got a late start that day so didn't have time to do La Cangreja. At the little cafe right before the main entrance, a guide offered us his services for $15/ person, but we ended up walking on our own to the Oropendola waterfall. It was a short walk and I don't think a guide was needed at all. The cost was $5 to enter the trail.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

You paid only $5? The fee is $10 for foreigners to go into the National Park. How did you manage this?

Rahway, New Jersey
4. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

We went to the guard shack and he told us the Oropendola waterfall is technically outside of the park...

guanacaste
reviews: 34
5. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

La Cangreja is the same as the Las Pailas, you can do both for $10 per person for the parks admission.

The local guide around is Cesar. You can contact him at 2665-2613 to book a tour with him.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

That is great advice by Jose...really nice to see how local people are helping visitors...well we have some incredible expats helping also...

roadadvisor

7. Re: guide - Rincon de la Vieja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rincon de La Vieja