We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Which Rincon de La Vieja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 43
Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

I will be coming to CR for a conference in January. The conference is on the coast but I was planning to spend the last two days near Rincon de La Vieja to experience a different part of the country. I have been back and forth on which hotel to select and now am wondering if I should not make advance plans to be in that area at all due to the volcanic activity. Clearly the hike to the crater is already closed off but what if the area becomes impassable or just unpleasant because of the ash? Hotel Borinquen requires payment in full to make the reservation. Obviously if the area was deemed unsafe for travel they would be forced to reimburse their guests, but what if it just isn't a great place to be at the time? Mother Nature is certainly not predictable but it appears she may be giving advance warning in this case. Opinions of those who are there now? What are the local thoughts?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Dear dccm..

Is not that bad at all...so far no ashes all over around the volcano...all soft adventure tours running very normal...

Check Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin...ask for Mr. Batalla if you have any question regarding payments!

roadadvisor

guanacaste
reviews: 32
2. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Yes the crater is closed to visitors, but no ashes , no piroplastic clouds, no lava, the volcano is active but is not dangerous to visitors or in anyway has it ruined someones trip.

Select a hotel, Borinquen is nice hotel.

Takoma Park...
reviews: 44
3. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Blue River resort just told me the summit was open, but it's possible they misunderstood my question.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
4. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

January is high season for tourism (summer break for schools), so it may be hard to get a last minute reservation in some locations. This mainly applies to the beaches. I don't know how popular the volcano area is, so it may not apply.

acworth, ga
reviews: 34
5. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

I would love an update on the activity, Is the crater still closed? I really wanted to hike it in September.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Still closed as today!

roadadvisor

acworth, ga
7. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Thanks roadadvisor, do you know if these things change quickly? Is there a chance of it reopening, or is it more probable that it will be closed?

Philadelphia, PA USA
reviews: 39
8. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

Planning a mid-January 2013 visit...what is the current level of volcanic activity and is the summit open yet?

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

With Volcanos nobody knows ...but they can change anytime...still close as today!

roadadivsor

acworth, ga
10. Re: Change plans due to volcanic activity?--locals pls comment

It was still closed the last couple of weeks. To be honest I doubt if it reopens by the time you are there. With recent tectonic plate shifts(including the 7.7 earthquake we were just in down there) the volcanic activity is shifting away from Arenal and towards Rincon de la Vieja. The only trail that is closed is the one to the summit, the other10 miles of trails are open and great!

Get answers to your questions about Rincon de La Vieja