We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England
reviews: 1
Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

My husband and I are visiting San Francisco in July and driving down the coast to LA. We would like to book a night in Carmel/Monterey and one in Cambria.

Please can anyone help us with choosing a good place to stay? It will be our 25th wedding Anniversary and the first holiday away together without the family! Would love ocean views, comfortable rooms etc.

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who is familiar with the area. Thanks!

san luis obispo
reviews: 29
11. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

If you want to celebrate your anniversary in style consider staying in Big Sur at Ventana or the Post Ranch. Both are very spectacular and expensive. In Cambria stay in one of the dozen or so places on Moonstone Drive if you want an ocean view, but keep in mind it will likely be cool, windy or foggy, even in the summer. The Fog Catcher and Sea Otter Inn are good choices. One of the great seafood restaurants on the coast is on Moonstone Dr., the Sea Chest, but be advised they don't take reservations or credit cards.

Warwick, United...
reviews: 28
12. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

Love 2 Travel

Hearsts castle was interesting because its so UNLIKE anything i have ever seen before (and i live about 5 minutes away from Warwick Castle) Its not really a castle in the "European style "but interesting none the less. I think because its quite new and such an extravagance.... I would encouraged anyone to go there as i also thought the tour guide Ted was very interesting and funny and made for a very enjoyable morning.

Regards

Asha

London, UK
reviews: 52
13. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

I drove up the PCH in November, took 8 whole days to do it! I loved every minute. I realise this might be an unpopular view, but I really didn't like Cambria very much. I thought the town was a bit pretentious and seemed to have too many fake-antique shops. And nothing at all to do in the evening (not that we were looking for nightclubs or raves!). I also stayed there about 5 years ago, just overnight, at the Cambria Pines. As far as I remember, no ocean view at all, so perhaps not suitable for your special night. Apologies, any Cambria lovers, just a personal view!

For me, Pismo Beach, Morro, Avila etc were far, far preferable. I especially loved the Kon Tiki in Pismo Beach, for comfort, ocean view, facilities, near to good dining. It's reviewed on this site if you're interested. Even if you do decide to stay in Cambria, I'd say check out one or two of these other places on your way through to LA.

Have a great time. I'm jealous!

los angeles, ca
reviews: 13
14. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

Thanks for your words love2travel. I lived in Seattle for a year as part of my college internship and the city is beautiful and clean and everyone I came across were all friendly. And I met my future husband there. One of my favorite states in the U.S.

san francisco
reviews: 91
15. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

Julia, try Her Castle. Book the King Suite (they only have 2). We were upgraded to the King and for only $70.00 as they have a discount going on right now because they are only 6 months old.

The room is just right, beautiful and very large and roomy. The bathroom is a very well accommodated with his and her separate mirror and sinks.

The proprietors throw in a lot of extras and personal care. This is very pretty.

Last year my husband and I on a last minute whim went to Cambria and chose the wrong weekend and so we ended up going to almost every one of the B&B along the coast. We ended up at the Pine Lodge (nice but really a motel style). So I can say you won't go wrong with this Her Castle. Eleanor makes a wonderful generous breakfast. You can special order anything you want.

Pismo Beach, CA
16. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

For your stay in the Monterey/Carmel area, I'd recommend one of the bed & breakfasts in Pacific Grove, which is just a stone's throw down Cannery Row from Monterey.

Here are three that are absolutely wonderful, all with ocean views. (The first was featured in a Visa commercial a few years back!)

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/

http://www.gosbyhouseinn.com/

The La Playa Hotel in Carmel is fabulous. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.laplayahotel.com/

And here's a B&B in Carmel

http://www.cobblestoneinncarmel.com/

But if you're looking for ocean views, go with the Pacific Grove Inns. Or the Highlands Inn in Carmel, which is also spectacular. Here's a link to their website:

highlandsinn.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

For restaurants, here's a link to a great Pacific Grove restaurant, voted the most romantic restaurant in the area every year, perfect for an anniversary celebration:

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…pacificgrove.html

Also, in Carmel, Casanova's is very nice, romantic and intimate. Here's a link to info about that restaurant:

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…carmel.html

In Monterey, the Sardine Factory is not to be missed. It's fabulous, very elegant. Here's a link to info about that one:

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…monterey.html

Have a wonderful stay!

southcarolina
reviews: 20
17. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

well you really didn't ask about restaurants but I know you've got to eat....so if you are looking for something special check out Shadowbrook Restaurant in Capitola (just on the other side of the bay from Monterey). The website is www.shadowbrook-capitola.com and there's also some reviews on this website about the restaurant. The food is super and just an all around wonderful place to go (...a place were memories are made).

cheshire UK
reviews: 25
18. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

Julia-

Have just returned from a trip around California.

We stayed at the Monterey Plaza; bit expensive but excellent location to explore Pebble Beach and Carmel.Good choice of rooms/ Partial sea view was OK for us.

Drove from Monterey down the Big Sur to Hearst Castle and then down to Laguna Beach in a day. Long drive but OK.Laguna Beach is superb.

Enjoy

reviews: 719
19. Re: Visiting from UK - Cambria, Carmel/Monterey

We've stayed at the Cypress Cove, the Blue Whale Inn and the Fireside Inn in Cambria. All were very nice. I prefer the Cypress Cove for the jacuzzi and the location.

In Carmel we just stayed at the La Playa Hotel, it was wonderful. Two blocks from the ocean, pool, restaurant and pampering service. We had a king oceanview that overlooked the gorgeous grounds and gardens. www.laplayahotel.com

In the Carmel Highlands area, the Tickle Pink Inn and the Highland's Inn both have beautiful views of the ocean from their rooms. Just ask if you would like more info on any of these places! :)