We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 28
Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

I've Google mapped the trip, but I know that often it doesn't provide the "best" route (the most scenic, without taking too long).

What do you think is the best route from Anaheim to Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara on a Saturday morning? And then the best route from Stearn's Wharf to Cambria?

I've asked the first part of the question on the Santa Barbara forum as well. Thanks!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

Just take I-5 toward Los Angeles and connect with Highway 101 north (you will want to be in the left lanes, as the ramp veers in that direction) and continue to Santa Barbara following the directions from Google.

Santa Barbara to Cambria: Highway 101 north to San Luis Obispo and take the Highway 1/Morro Bay/Hearst Castle exit. You'll drive through part of SLO before hitting open road up to Cambria.

Yes, Google says to take Highway 154, but this is a two lane, 55 MPH road, whereas Highway 101 is a straight shot 65 MPH highway/freeway.

Ontario
reviews: 28
2. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

Thanks yet again for your great help! :)

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
3. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

I would avoid the 5 and try to get to the 405 instead. Take that up to the Valley and then get on the 101.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
4. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

Kibblesmom always gives wonderful advice. However, I have to put in a plug for Highway 154, as it travels through gorgeous mountain scenery, including a breathtaking view high above Lake Cachuma. I've taken both routes - 101 all the way and the 154 detour - several times and not noticed a significant time difference.

Of course, as a first time traveler it may be easier for you just to stay on the 101 without detours; either way is a beautiful drive.

Avila Beach...
5. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

The 154 can be very slow if there is an accident....or road construction....or you are stuck behind a slow driver...or.... The 101 is almost always a smooth run from SB to SLO. The 154 is a beautiful drive tho. Stop at Cold Springs Tavern if you take that route. Stick to the speed limits, there's a lot of highway patrol on that stretch.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
6. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

Seems to me that Highway 154 is becoming the new Highway 46 East. Too many accidents of late that give pause to its feasible use.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
7. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

For scenic, I'd take the 5 Freeway to the 126 and make a quick stop in Santa Paula for the East Main Street area from say 6th-10th Street. Santa Paula is a Hollywood favorite for filming when they need a downtown area that looks like 1950's America.

8. Re: Anaheim to Cambria (with a stop in Santa Barbara)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 23, 2012