We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help w/trip planning

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
reviews: 21
help w/trip planning

we're planning a trip to the area in july. a family member is getting married @ ragged point but we'll likely stay at the cambria pines lodge - better reviews, ratings, etc. we'll be traveling w/our 3 daughters (11, 9 and 4). arriving on a weds staying thru sunday. i am so unfamiliar w/the area - been to san diego and san fran but i know this area is obviously quite different. what do i need to know? what should be do? we love hiking, camping (though we won't have our gear b/c of plane travel) and all outdoor things. we're trying to plan a trip to sequoia nat'l park as well if anyone has any tips tehre.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: help w/trip planning

Cambria Pines Lodge is a great location close to town, but nestled within the pines. I think you'll be quite happy there. It's about a 25 minute drive to Ragged Point from Cambria.

So what to do?

1) Hearst Castle tour/San Simeon Point

2) Elephant Seal Rookery (4 miles north of Hearst Castle)

3) Hike the trail at Salmon Creek (approx. 4 to 5 miles north of Ragged Point)

4) Drive up to Big Sur and have lunch at Nepenthe(about a 2 hour drive)

www.nepenthebigsur.com

5) Hit the beach at Cayucos or Morro Bay (about 15-20 minutes south of Cambria)

It will be hot, hot, hot in Sequoia NP in July. And the drive won't be pretty, but it will be worth it. Keep plenty of water in your vehicle.

Edited: 12:27 am, February 20, 2010
Kansas City, MO
2. Re: help w/trip planning

ok, those all sound like great ideas - i'll look into them. thank you! now, how hot are we talking about - sequioa in july?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
3. Re: help w/trip planning

"how hot are we talking about - sequoia in july?"

Low 90's to low 100's.

reviews: 767
4. Re: help w/trip planning

Moonstone Beach in Cambria is a great place to visit, there are usually sea lions out on the rocks there. You may also want to plan a visit to nearby San Simeon, it's about 5 minutes away from Cambria, Hearst Castle is there, they offer several tours, check their webiste for times, tours, etc.

www.centralcoast.com is a great website for this area. Have fun! :)

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
reviews: 10
5. Re: help w/trip planning

I'd like to mention Morro Bay as a day adventure. There is a long, wide stretch of beach north of Morro Rock that remains shallow a long way's into the surf, so it's safe and fun for kids to splash around in. You can also rent kayaks or canoes and paddle around the inner harbor (away from the waves). Plenty of restaurants in all price ranges. If you're into fishing, they have daily fishing excursions and also wildlife sightseeing cruises.

Cambria's beaches are fun at low tide for beachcombing for moonstones, agates and some shells. Not so good for getting in the water due to strong rip tides.

If you decide to go to Hearst Castle, this is the busiest time and you should consider buying tickets in advance. Taking a guided tour can be tough for young kids since it's a museum and they can't run around or touch a lot of things. You might want to check out a new tour being offered for the summer in late afternoon to sunset where you're free to go at your own pace, grounds only (no interiors), until sunset. The view from the top of the hill is spectacular (if it's not a foggy day, which it can be in July), and so are the grounds. (www.hearstcastle.com)

Hope this adds to your list of possibilities!

Kansas City, MO
6. Re: help w/trip planning

ok, our plans have changed some so I wanted Kibblesmom to weigh in (and anyone else!). we're now staying at the Ragged Point Inn Fri and Sat for the wedding. we're wanting to head south of there Sunday for 2 - 3 nights to spend some time w/other family coming in from out of town (we're coming from Kansas City and they're from NC) - should be stick with Cambria Pines Lodge or head to Morro Bay? Thoughts?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
7. Re: help w/trip planning

A lot depends on what you like to do. Will you have children with you? Do you like doing outdoorsy things? Wine tasting? Hiking? Shopping?

If you enjoy wine, then stay in Cambria. The Paso Robles wine country is an easy 25 minute drive away with several tasting rooms in lovely country settings. Cambria had two quaint shopping districts with several unique and fun shops to explore. Seekers Gallery with its art glass is a favorite as well as Heart's Ease across the street with its lovely gardens and herbs, pot potpourri & potions. And Moonstone Beach is a lovely stretch of coastline with a wooden boardwalk for sunset or morning walks along the shore. Cambria is the most romantic location of between the two towns.

Morro Bay is a fishing village that has seen better days. It does have a nice embarcadero area lined with shops & eateries. And there is kayaking the bay, walking the wide expanse of beach or even driving a bit south to Montana de Oro State Park & walking the trail out to the jagged cliffs that have been carved out by ocean waves. There are even tide pools below the cliffs (look for the stairs as you walk south) where you can look at the animals that live in the rocky crevices.

Morro Bay could be a good base for exploring the whole coast: Cambria, Paso Robles, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo & Pismo/Avila Beach.

I just think Cambria Pines Lodge's location is hard to beat. It's in a wooded area just above Cambria's East Village with easy access to Highway 1.

Have you looked at Morro Bay accommodations? If so, which ones?

Kansas City, MO
8. Re: help w/trip planning

We'll have children (4, 9 and 11) as well as granparents/in-laws. Anyhow, the info you have given me is great - we're sticking w/cambria pines lodge and just explore from there. thanks again.

9. Re: help w/trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 25, 2010