We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solage Calistoga: What's the Real Deal?

Which Calistoga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, CA
reviews: 4
Solage Calistoga: What's the Real Deal?

The reviews on this property are all over the map. It makes me wonder what the story is. Some people rave about the service and food and others trash it. Are these just people with vastly different expectations or are there people out there with a vendetta? It's hard to tell. We have reservation for Solage in a couple of months and I am really not sure whether to cancel or not. We don't get a chance to go away very often and I don't want to waste my time and money. We have pretty high expectations as we like to stay at places like the Four Seasons resorts, gmh and como properties in Asia, and places like The Swag in the US. We have stayed at The Carneros Inn and liked it , but wanted to try something different this time. We love Auberge du Soleil, but wanted to spend less $ this trip and they don't allow children. Carneros Ranch is really out of our budget even though we have visited the property and it looks very nice. It seems that there is so little in the more moderate budget category worth visiting and I was hoping this property would be our answer in Napa wine country. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Calistoga, CA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Solage Calistoga: What's the Real Deal?

We live here and know Solage well. The variety in reviews is likely because the resort only opened in the Summer and there were definitely teething troubles.

They seem to be getting their act together. The restaurant is chic and the spa excelent.

The rooms are garden sheds on the outside, agricultural meets minimalist modern on the inside.

Overall not nearly as fancy as Auberge du Soleil but then again a different price point.

Regards

Nick

San Francisco
reviews: 4
2. Re: Solage Calistoga: What's the Real Deal?

Hello...I stayed here in August and immediately posted my positive experience on line. It's the "Seriously...why all the bad press" review. I, too, have travelled and stayed at many elegant properties around the world. If you are expecting the Four Seasons or Auberge du Soleil, don't go. If you are open to trying something that is hip, a bit urban in flavor almost a zen "W Hotel" property, give it a try.

I don't really understand the complaints about the rooms. I think they are very cool. I wanted to know the name of the artist whose paintings were on the wall, I liked them so much, and I loved that they had some thoughtful books in the room (i.e. The Four Agreements). The beds are incredibly comfortable, the patio is relaxing (unless you're out there naked, who cares if you face another patio!) Yes, the bathroom is part of the room, but partitioned off. The shower is SO cool, I took photos of it so my interior designer could mimic the stone floors when we do our Master addition! Yep, the floors are cement...wear slippers!

I found the staff to be eager to please and warm. I was up there working on a book I'm writing and I was visited no less than 4 times by staff throughout the day asking if they could do anything to make me comfortable while in the cabana at the pool.

My husband and I had dinner at the Sol Bar and LOVED it! There is a cool fireplace both inside and outside the restaurant which adds to the ambience.

The spa wasn't yet open when we were there, so I can't comment on that aspect of the property,but the fitness room was very state of the art.

I do think the responses are all over the map because of expectations. But it sort of surprises me, since no one is trying to hide the fact that it's a young property, with immature landscaping and a rustic style.

If you go with an open mind, I think you'll be pleased. If you're expecting Four Seasons plush it's not the right place for you.

3. Re: Solage Calistoga: What's the Real Deal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, September 14, 2009