We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which Calabasas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
208 posts
Itinerary help

We are planning to be in the Valley for 2 days next week. We are arriving at LAX late Tuesday night and driving to Calabasas, where we will be staying until Friday morning, when we are driving to San Diego. Other than a few hours that my wife wants to spend at the Reagan library, our schedule is open and we're hoping to use the remaining time to enjoy the natural beauty and flavor of the area. (We'll be spending some time in LA at the end of the trip)

To that end, I have a few questions:

I assume that we should spend time in Malibu and Santa Monica - is there anything specific to see or do in either?

Should we limit ourselves to the section of the coast from Santa Monica up to Ventura, or is it worth it to drive all the way to Santa Barbara, and if so, what should we do there? Somebody mentioned a "Cliff Drive" with gorgeous houses - is this worthwhile?

Is there a good place to rent bikes to ride alongside the ocean? Is it too cold to rent boats, and if not, where should we do so? Is there anyplace warm enough to go swimming?

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary help

The Nixon library is close by so that's also an option. For Santa Monica, I like to hike up in the hills -- see http://www.nps.gov/samo/index.htm

For swimming, you might try further south -- closer to San Diego. It should be in the upper 60s. Not quite beach weather, but definitely not 6 inches of snow.

Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary help

Hi looking to visit Calabasas area at Easter time - we will be hiring a car for the 2 weeks we are there and could do with a suggested Itinary - we like the Sea, Seafood , nice relaxing evenings (have heard little Italy is nice ? ). Will probably take in a theme park and don't mind driving to reach small towns etc to stay for the night before moving on.

Thanks in advance

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,805 posts
396 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary help

Kempian, welcome to the forums here in California.

As you can see from the lack of responses to the question above, threads tend to get buried quickly if they are not in a major city forum.

I'd repost in the Los Angeles forum. Tell us who is coming (ages and interests) and the first question people will ask is "why Calabasas". It is out of the mainstream of Los Angeles and would not be a place people would recommend as a place from which to explore Southern California or LA.

Reply to: Itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted