We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the area of Calabasas like?

Which Calabasas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
What is the area of Calabasas like?

I'm looking to go on holiday to California and looking at going to calabasas. I was wondering what the area is like and if there is much to do in the there?

10 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
1. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

Calabasas is a very pleasant place to live but not convenient at all for visitors.

Transit options from there are limited to a rental car ( for the most part) and drives to areas of interest can be lengthy.

Best to stay somewhere much more convenient.

What is on your wish list to see while visiting?

Dr. Z

2. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

Well, I have never been to America before so was looking for an area which is not too busy but not boring with nothing at all to do. Does Calabasas have shopping areas etc? Also, how safe is the area of Calabasas in terms of crime?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
3. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

You do not want to visit Calabasas as a vacation spot. It is the epitome of suburbia (much like the developments you see in the movie ET or Poltergeist, as Spielberg modeled the neighborhoods in his movies after Calabasas)

4. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

Where in California would you recommend to go?

5. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

Where in California would you recommend to go?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

Well, I'll just repeat what was already asked...what in California do you want to see....it's a pretty big area.

Dr. Z

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 1
7. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

<<Where in California would you recommend to go?>>

Huge question haha. If you were considering Calabasas you must have some specific reasons - what is it that drew you to that city?

In addition, at the risk of starting something, a nickname for the area among friends of mine that grew up there is Cala-blackless; this should tell you something about the lack of diversity there. And seeing as diversity IMO is one of the best traits of California, you'd be missing a lot by focusing on such a suburb.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
8. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

As it is your first trip to the US I would urge you to scope out some guidebooks at a bookstore or library and read up on what is on offer in California.

It's a very large state (is it still the 5th largest economy in the world?) and the size of England, Scotland and Wales.

There are beaches like what you see on TV but there are also wild stretches of wind-swept coast. There are tall trees (coast redwoods) and big fat trees (sequoias), there is Yosemite and not that far down the road, as a counterpoint, is Death Valley.

There are cities like LA and San Francisco -- and the two could not be more different.

Bottom line, there is a lot in California. But what you choose to do and see will depend completely on your likes and travel styles. Because it is completely impossible to see it all on one holiday.

San Diego...
9. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

I wish I would have seen your post earlier as I think Calabasas is the perfect stepping off point for many Los Angeles area attractions. Calabasas is at the west end of the San Fernando Valley and is within 25 minutes of Malibu, the Getty Center and Hollywood. The two hotels in Calabasas are located at either end of the Calabasas Commons which is very pedestrian friendly with upscale shops and restaurants. You do need a rental car but there is no public transportation anywhere in LA if you want to see multiple areas or attractions. There are lots of back roads to explore and the famous Rock Store is minutes away on Mulholland Hwy as well as the Cornell Winery tasting room where you can sample many of the local wines. I think Calabasas is a charming, quiet and safe enclave with a great central location.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: What is the area of Calabasas like?

"...You do need a rental car but there is no public transportation anywhere in LA if you want to see multiple areas or attractions,,,"

Seeing this is your first post and you are from nearby San Diego I'll cut you some slack......

LA is not your Father's LA anymore.......Public Transportation choices have boomed in the last 20 years. There was a time in which renting a car when coming to the Greater LA region wa paramount but no longer.

Also, I do not agree that Calabasas is the "perfect stepping off point". An hour round trip by car to Hollywood (with no traffic) seems excessive for a tourist.

Dr. Z

Reply to: What is the area of Calabasas like?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted