We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Buellton

Which Buellton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
reviews: 28
Lunch in Buellton

Traveling north from San Diego up the coast to stay in Cambria and continuing north. Wondering where may be a great place to stop for lunch? Thanks!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Lunch in Buellton

I like Andersen's for Split Pea Soup and a sandwich. It is by far the most famous place in Buelton.

http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

San Diego...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Lunch in Buellton

I like Andersen's too. It's been there for 75 years. We stopped there when I was a kid. It's basically the same place now though it seems larger. They always have the pea soup, and one other soup that changes each day, and they will refill your soup bowl as many times as you want. It's not a gourmet place, but to me everything there tastes good, and the sense of history and quaintness is part of the appeal of going there.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Lunch in Buellton

I lived in Santa Barbara from age 3-8. We'd take "day trips" to Buelton so my brother and I could pose in the "cans" (the "famed" cutout board of Hap-pea and Pea-wee) and we'd have lunch at "pea soup" (our kids name for it). hubpages.com/hub/Pea-Soup-Andersens-The-Plac…

It really is an institution in the area. I've been back since and there's a definite nostalgia factor for me ... but I'm not sure what I'd think of it if I'd never been before (not to mention being heir to all those photos!).

Edited: 7:55 pm, August 16, 2010
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: Lunch in Buellton

The Hitching Post, made famous in the movie Sideways, has better food, IMO, but is more pricey. Andersen's is very kid friendly. Standard roadside fare.

We like Firestone Walker too.

Apparently all three places have their complaints on yelp regarding service speed. We stopped eating at Andersen's after two times in a row having to tolerate extraordinarily slow service (indeed, we walked out the second time, although it was not lunch hour). Andersen's can be very crowded, but apparently the other two places can be slow as well.

One thing about Andersen's is that you can buy a bucket of cookies from Solvang on your way out.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
5. Re: Lunch in Buellton

Reviews of Andersen's on this site and on Yelp are definitely mixed. Some people hated it. I would just order a Monte Cristo sandwich and a bowl of the pea soup. On your way out visit the bakery and gift shop. The main experience is the place itself. It's almost a tourist attraction, at least as a traveler's tradition, and not a "foodie" destination. I guess we got lucky because we always had perfectly fine service there.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 27
6. Re: Lunch in Buellton

Does it have to be in Buellton? How about some place in Santa Barbara, or, if taking the #154 scenic "shortcut", the Los Olivos Cafe in Los Olivos.

I thought Andersen's was tired 30 years ago, the last time I ventured in there.

Maybe it has improved. Let us know.

Redlands, California
reviews: 35
7. Re: Lunch in Buellton

I can't think of the name of it, but there's a real "country style cafe" virtually across the street from Anderson's. I've only had breakfast there--one speciality is a thin pancake (Swedish? Danish?) which is really good.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 28
8. Re: Lunch in Buellton

Thanks everyone, we may stop in SB for lunch at Brophy Bros, but wanted to get a feeling for what was in Buellton, as we've never stopped there. Thanks for all the suggestions!

reviews: 785
9. Re: Lunch in Buellton

SB Shellfish Co. on Stearn's Wharf is also very good, they have some excellent lobster bisque and full lobster meals at reasonable prices, the views are beautiful here also. We have been to the Los Olivos Cafe in Los Olivos previously mentioned, it's a great choice for a meal as well. They have a tasting bar there and the entire back wall is wines from all over the world which is fun to browse through while you wait for your food.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Edited: 6:07 pm, August 18, 2010
10. Re: Lunch in Buellton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, February 15, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Buellton