We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
34,337 posts
27 reviews
Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

The premier resort in Borrego Springs is set to reopen this May.

The resort fell on hard times when a group bought it in 2007 and turned it into an "adults only, no locals allowed, over-the-top priced" property and it shuttered in early 2010.

The property was purchased in late January by San Diego locals, including Jack McGory, a former SD City Manager.

According to the Borrego Sun, if things "go as anticipated" a soft opening could occur in April.

This is excellent news for the small hamlet of Borrego Springs and will add at least 70 jobs to the economy. Not bad in a town of less than 2000!

The new ownership will once again welcome children (hmmmm, I gotta think about that one), locals and memberships to the fitness and tennis center will be sold.

June is toasty in Borrego but I may be making reservations soon!

Edited: 7:00 pm, February 26, 2013
14 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

Good news.

Here is a link to the article in the UT. Interesting to see what it was purchased for ,after the last guy bought it and put 7 million into it.

utsandiego.com/news/…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
2. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

Long overdue and fantastic news. If the new owners bring back affordable pricing welcoming the community and families, they will be rewarded for their investment.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
51,848 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

We used to go there for our anniversary!

I'd love to go back!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
179 reviews
4. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

This exciting news indeed.

Riverside...
1 post
5. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

I can't wait for it to open. We've had so many good times there with our family and friends.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
6. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

What a special place.

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
50 reviews
7. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

I don't live in the area anymore but I would to stay there again in the future. Had some fantastic trips there over the years. Glad the new owners have the dream.

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

This is wonderful news! I just happened to google La Casa Del Zorro and came up with this surprise. We will definitely check it out on our next trip to the area. Used to come annually until the then new owners changed it into something so ill-fitting to the area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
9. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

So excited about this news! I dreamed of having my wedding at LCDZ and was so sad when they closed down. Guess I can start making wedding plans!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
34,337 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!

An update from the recent edition of the "Borrego Sun."

The opening has been delayed from May 1 to June 15. The delay was caused by a necessary upgrade to the resort's computer system.

One of the partner's indicated that they are hoping to join a major hotel chain and take advantage of its central reservation system.

The bar and restaurant are scheduled to open in September where they will once again welcome residents. The Casa will also be hosting the Borrego Springs High School senior prom in late May.

Reply to: Great News! La Casa Del Zorro to Reopen!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted