We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 2013?

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 215
January 2013?

Well we never made it to LA or Borrego Springs last December. But January 2013 is looking good--right after New Year's. Is there some big event there or is everything closed? I looked online at the Inn and the Resort abd both had no online availability in January?

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: January 2013?

I would think it more likely that they haven't loaded their reservations systems yet. I was reading that a movie filming that was originally scheduled in Borrego for this spring was delayed until the fall, but I doubt they'd be there until January.

Things don't close in January --- that is high season in the desert. Even summers these days there are more people who live over there year round. (How they manage temps in the 110s and above I don't know.)

However, don't expect it to be "hot" in January. Certainly will be warmer than DC but even in February, when I'm there frequently, we have a fire at night and it's perhaps low 70s during the day. Nice for golf and hiking but a bit too cold for sitting around the pool.

Washington DC...
2. Re: January 2013?

But sounds great for doing some hiking as an extension to a trip to San Diego! :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
3. Re: January 2013?

It's an excellent time for hiking. You could hit a rainy day or so depending upon the season. Do be careful of rain in canyons and washes.

The Visitor Center has excellent info on the conditions of trails and non-paved roads.

San Diego...
reviews: 29
4. Re: January 2013?

It can often be windy out there; we were in that area last weekend and it was pretty windy then, because there was a cold front over San Diego. At this moment, though intellicast is showing 76 and almost no wind at Borrego Springs. Last weekend we had wind and dust blowing in the desert, then driving back through the mountains we encountered heavy fog part of the way, we had to go 30 mph or slower on Interstate 8 for about an hour, then we ran into drizzle and finally light rain in San Diego - which washed all the dust off our car. All that in one evening and on March 31, late in the year for winter-type systems. In January it could be similar in January if there is a weather system in the region, or it could be completely clear, no wind but surprisingly cool for a desert, at night anyway. The statistical average for Borrego Springs in early January is a high of 68, low of 42, though it got as low as 20 on January 5, 1971 and as high as 85 on January 5, 2003. So there can be considerable variation. Usually when we have been there, we have had windy conditions.

Washington DC...
5. Re: January 2013?

Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
6. Re: January 2013?

When we arrived in February 2012 the area got just hit by heavy frosts with many citrus trees destroyed and many wildflowers plants killed. Nonetheless, there were plenty of wildflowers in the spring 2011.

Be prepared for any kind of weather and bring plenty of warm clothes and a windbreaker if you want to be outside. I wouldn't count on using a swimming pool in January. The park visitor center could still be opened only on weekends.

Today is April 14th and this is what I wrote in another post

<Well, today is mid-April and this morning I woke up to 42 degrees. Right now at 9:30 am it is still only 49 degrees on a hill down in the valley. In Culp Valley high above the valley floor it is below freezing. There is a plenty of fresh snow in the mountains visible from the valley floor and wicked winds continue to bring dark clouds from the west. I see right now dark rain/snow clouds in the west, blue sky above the head and clouds covering snowy peaks on the north side.

It was raining yesterday afternoon and at night. I have to wait for clouds to disappear before going on a hike today. I don't want to be surprised with the rain when hiking in washes and canyons. Besides for such wind it wouldn't be too much to have a down windproof jacket, wool hat and mittens. I don't think my fleece jacket is enough for this strong wind. I only hope those who are camping in tents this weekend have enough warm bedding and clothes and are able to keep their tents from being blown away.

On Wednesday we're expecting 100 degrees and less wind.>

A few weeks ago we had to reschedule our appointment in San Diego because of snow storms and roads leading from Borrego Springs through the mountains were covered in snow, then ice and we don't carry chains for our car

Washington DC...
7. Re: January 2013?

Thanks. The road conditions are worrisome, so I am posting a new question for some additional options. Rescheduling would not be an option for us on the San Diego trip. Need a sure thing, maybe over lower terrain en route.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
8. Re: January 2013?

I responded on your "California Desert" post.

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
9. Re: January 2013?

Because of a heavy snow fall not only on roads leading to Julian but on the road from BS to Ranchita we had to reschedule our appointment. It happened at least three times since mid-February this year.

Honu, be flexible and you should be fine.

Edited: 3:24 pm, April 15, 2012
Reply to: January 2013?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted