We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

We love Anza Borrego Desert State Park around the town of Borrego Springs and returned to this area many times for exceptional hiking. We always stay at the Montesoro which is located about 5 miles from the center of the town. We like to stay there in one of the rentalhouses because Montesoro is very quiet, well designed community with plentiful vegetation and golf course.

Unfortunately, things are changing in Montesoro. The golf course is now permanently closed with nothing green around. I used to enjoy taking very early morning walks and listened to birds, watched wildlife. My husband used to play a golf when not hiking . But now all is dry, big attractive trees are dying, birds are not returning. The saddest part is that the rental agent never mentioned to us the golf course is now closed. What’s a point of staying there if you cannot play golf once in a while? We paid the same price for our rental when golf course was green and enjoyable. The answer of a rental agent to a price adjustment was “We feel bad about it too.” Nothing more. The agent has no reviews where I would like to add mine. We still love the area and would definitely keep returning but have to look for another place to stay. Any specific suggestions on a quiet rental place to stay in Borrego Springs?

Edited: 11:45 am, February 29, 2012
8 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

That's bad news Places. I know there have been issues at Montesoro for a long time (since it was called Rams Hill). Last I heard they had sold Montesoro but there were snags with the purchase due to water bonds that were coming due and the water agency didn't want to negotiate.

There are many single family homes that are available to rent on a short term basis. Villas Borrego and Borrego Springs Resort are the other places to rent condos. Villas Borrego are close to town. Borrego Springs Resort is a larger facility but does have a restaurant nearby.

Unfortunately the Borrego Sun doesn't have an online version but if you called them or a real estate agent in Borrego I'm sure they'd connect you with someone who could help.

reviews: 2
2. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

The RoadRunner Club has very nice seasonal rentals in Borrego Springs. Two golf courses, tennis, pool, hot mineral baths, massage and medical clinic all on site. Call 760-767-5800 to inquire.

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
3. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

RamblinSal, it looks like Montesoro signs were removed and Rams Hills new signs are in place. That doesn't change a fact that this place is going down hill. Not only a golf course is in foreclosure and we were informed it is permanently closed with nothing green around, where bushes and trees are dying but also Casitas now have no recreation area available. There is no swimming pool, tennis courts any longer serving Casitas. The residents and guests staying in Casitas are not allowed to use recreation areas in other subdivisions of Rams Hill. They have to go somewhere outside of Rams Hill/Montesoro to use pools.

I'll be checking out Roadrunner Club, Villas Borrego and Borrego Springs for 2013. I don't want to get to Rams Hills to learn that we have no access to pool. Our rental agent conveniently "forgot" to mention to us that gold course is now permanently closed. We rented through her in the last three years. She still has photos on her website of rentals facing attractive and green golf course.

I don't know details but first it was La Casa del Zorro/Borrego Ranch Resort that got closed soon after bought by Montesoro and now other places are being closed. Because I'm planning to return to the area in 2013 I won't be renting again in Montesoro/Rams Hill in order to avoid more surprises.

Edited: 1:18 pm, April 14, 2012
Borrego Springs...
reviews: 45
4. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

Borrego Rentals has a lot of really nice homes for rent (7 days or longer). You can find them at www.borregorentals.com

Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

Yes, the golf course is closed but we now have a beautiful 18 hole walking path that is quiet and offers one great views. I was on my patio last weekend where we own a home in the Sante Fe development and heard birds singing. I don't blame you for being upset that the rental agent did not tell you the golf course was closed. I am very clear with my guests that there is no golf at Rams Hill and that the grass is brown. We still love the peace and quiet and the views are still the best in the valley and the night is like a dream still.

Trish Haskell

VRBO 86411

Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

Yes, the golf course is closed but we now have a beautiful 18 hole walking path that is quiet and offers one great views. I was on my patio last weekend where we own a home in the Sante Fe development and heard birds singing. I don't blame you for being upset that the rental agent did not tell you the golf course was closed. I am very clear with my guests that there is no golf at Rams Hill and that the grass is brown. We still love the peace and quiet and the views are still the best in the valley and the night is like a dream still.

Trish Haskell

VRBO 86411

Encinitas...
7. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

I stayed at a VRBO home at Rams Hill recently. The home was billed as having beautiful views of the mountains. There are distant mountains, but in the foreground the view is acres and acres of an eco-catastrophe in every direction you look. Originally there was a golf course, which, in my opinion, is not something I would want to look at even when cared for. But, as others have already said, it is not maintained. It is a barren wasteland with dead trees, dried-up, man-made ponds, and sand traps. Whoever owns that land should restore it to its natural beauty. If you can overlook this gross injustice to nature, then the total destruction and devastation of a once thriving ecosystem may not bother you. I couldn’t look beyond it. It was a very sad weekend. I just wanted to go home.

San Diego...
8. Re: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed

Montesoro is not permanently closed. It has been temporarily closed and we are happy to report that the Golf Course, which has returned to it's original name RAMS HILL, will re-open later this year. It will be worth the wait.

Reply to: Montesoro Golf Course is permanently closed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted