We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery store in Borrego Springs

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
grocery store in Borrego Springs

We are staying for several days at an inn that has a kitchenette and were wondering if there is a store where we might buy snacks, fruit, cheese/crackers and wine to enjoy at this inn. Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies to this topic
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Definitely a big grocery store in the middle of town a couple of blocks west of the traffic circle. There are some shops out front so the parking and entrance are in the rear.

Edited: 3:32 pm, February 09, 2012
Vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Thanks so much! I wasn't thrilled about the alternative which would have been stopping on our way to there from San Diego.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
640 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

I don't know that I would call that particular grocery store "big". To me it's more of a small neighborhood grocery store with a limited number of items so if you just looking for basics, you should be okay. If you want more gourmet type items you may be out of luck.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
32,938 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

It's not big ... and not big on "gourmet."

There are two shopping "centers" in Borrego. One is called the "Mall" and the other is the "Center." The grocery store in the "Center" which is on the north side of Palm Canyon Drive. It's the same complex which houses Pablito's (there's a large sign) and the Bottle Shop (visible from Palm Canyon).

However if you are driving over from San Diego, head through Santa Ysabel and stop at Don's Market. They have a fab meat market (make their own sausages and have venison) and good fresh veggies. Also pick up some of Dudley's bread. If the Dudley's store is closed, Don's carries a lot of their offerings.

Via the Borrego "Sun" (the local newspaper) I've been told that a grocery is supposed to be going in on Christmas Circle where there once was a liquor store, which has been empty for ages. However, like most things in Borrego, it's taking its time to open.

Besides the Bottle Shop there is another liquor/wine store across Palm Canyon Drive near Jilberto's.

Believe me, you can't miss any of this ... "downtown" Borrego is very small.

Enjoy the desert.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

This is why I love Trip Advisor. Always get such great information! Thank you all!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,532 posts
142 reviews
6. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Sal the next time we are in San Diego we will go and visit this area. The Anza park sounds interesting :-).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
32,938 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Do go belo ... just not in summer!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Our favorite place to stock up on wonderful eatables is the Friday morning Farmers' Market which is held in Christmas Circle. It is incredible and we always plan our visits to Borrego to arrive in time for it.

There is more than just fresh produce - there are also vendors who sell marvelous tamales, meats, fresh pita bread, dips and sauces . . . . enough for us to stock up for nearly a week of good eating.

Center Market which has already been mentioned does have a small supply of some good California wines, some crackers, a not great supply of cheese, basic things that you'd find in any small town grocery.

Also - don't forget the ice cream (and fudge) shop right at the front of the Center Mall group of stores.

San Diego...
1 post
9. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

Thank you.

WASHINGTON STATE
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: grocery store in Borrego Springs

The grocery store is now stocked with gourmet items and has wonderful offerings. We were there last winter and were so glad to have choices. Hope they have been able to keep it up because if folks don'tt purchase these items, they will have to stop carrying anything but basic groceries.

Reply to: grocery store in Borrego Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted