We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eagan, MN
Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

My wife and I are spending three nights at the Bodega Bay Lodge in early October (coming over from the Napa region). Two questions:

1. Good places for an avid photographer to explore? I'm planning on heading up the coast from Jenner to Fort Ross for rugged coastline. Any other great local areas that I should shoot?

2. For someone who is allergic to shellfish, recommendations for dinner locations?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Roseville...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

On food, there is a restaurant across from Inn At the Tides motel that is great & has lots of non seafood dishes. Great place for breakfast too.

reviews: 708
2. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

The Duck Club @ The Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa is very nice for dinner. Great food and pretty views! :)

Edited: 12:08 am, September 03, 2012
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

It's easy enough to avoid shellfish. The Terrapin Creek Cafe' has a varied menu. It has a Michelin star so advanced reservations are necessary.

http://www.terrapincreekcafe.com/

For photography, there is actually more coastal access between Bodega Bay and Jenner than from Jenner to Fort Ross. I would think the photography would be better along the Sonoma Coast Beaches rather than way up on a cliff that overlooks the Pacific. If you do go to Fort Ross, make sure you go on the weekend when it's open.

This is a great site for exploring the California Coast:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/

You can see what the roads look like from the air and you can zone in on the beaches too. Do a search for Goat Rock and it will take you right to the beaches near Jenner.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 19
4. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

Interesting places to photograph if you head south on 1 from Bodega Bay to/towards Point Reyes (going around Tomales Bay). There's also a lighthouse at Pt Reyes that I've seen great photos of (I don't have the eye for taking great pictures, but do see lots of them of that whole general area, and I just enjoy the driving/prowling around between Bodega Bay and Pont Reyes). If you are into the movie "The Birds", you can go to the town of Bodega, which is basically the first left turn off Hightway 1 maybe 5 minutes south of Bodega Bay, and photograph the buildings there. A fun little town. A trip to Pt Reyes from Bodega Bay can be an all day adventure, so go north one day and south another.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
5. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

Don't let anyone tell you that the photography between Jenner and For Ross is not as good as the state beaches between Bodega Bay and Jenner.

Yes you can get down "on the beaches" at the latter location, but Ansel Adams used the former location extensively. Go three miles further to the Timber Cove Inn and take some pictures of the cove and the waves crashing on the bluffs in the area. There may still be some of Ansel's photos in the Inn. He was a friend of the architects and the Inn used to have an extensive collection of incredible local photographs taken by him.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 31
6. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

Well, just in general, I think that your timing will be great as the leaves will be turning and Harvest will still be in swing.

We enjoy the north county this time of year- up in Dry Creek and Alexander Valley are some very photogenic areas, IMO.

My coastal geography is poor at best, but if you don't already have a visit to Point Reyes on the docket, do try to add one; I believe that a day trip from Bodega Bay would not be outside the realm of reasonable. Also, visit Armstrong Redwoods Preserve, for sure.

Eagan, MN
7. Re: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants

Thanks everyone for the info! Can't wait to get there.

Reply to: Bodega Bay: Photography and Restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted