We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sonoma beaches

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oro Valley...
sonoma beaches

we are a senior couple in fairly good shape. We will be in Windsor CA. at the end of Sept. I love the wild ocean, not the calm, flat sun-bathing places. I'd appreciate recommendations for a one-day trip not too far from Windsor where we can enjoy the crashing waves, rocks, birds, etc. Preferably not just from an overhead viewing area but up close and personal too. Is Bodega Bay as good as it gets? Thanks for your help.

6 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: sonoma beaches

No, the wild ocean is north of Bodega Bay.....the 13 miles from Jenner to Fort Ross Historic State Park. However, it isn't the wild kind of ocean where you can get up close and personal, but you must watch from a cliff. No beaches. There are turnouts ion the road for watching. Three miles north of Fort Ross, the Timber Cove Inn sits on bluffs and I have seen fantastic crashing waves from those.

The beaches on the 10 mile stretch from Bodega Bay to Jenner are not as wild but can have big waves, depending on the weather. **However**, do not turn your back on them for a moment. Rogue waves have been known to crash in unexpectedly and sweep persons away. Seriously.

The most northerly of these State beaches is Goat Rock. You must drive down to it, but you can be rewarded, if the conditions are right, with a dramatic of the Russian River entering the Pacific.

Hope for a storm at sea, I guess. Good luck.

Oro Valley...
2. Re: sonoma beaches

Thanks so much to whomever sent the info on the Sonoma beaches. I can't wait, but we will be careful.

menlo park, ca
reviews: 72
3. Re: sonoma beaches

I'm not sure that the post made clear that NORTH from Jenner you are driving way up into the headlands for great views of the ocean way down there. If you want a wild beach, turn south from Jenner. The coast between Jenner and Bodega is what you want. That would make a nice loop drive from Windsor.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
4. Re: sonoma beaches

From Jenner to Fort Ross you are not driving away from the ocean to the "headlands". You are right on the cliffs. Yes, above the ocean, but it is right there. I said,

>> However, it isn't the wild kind of ocean where you can get up close and personal, but you must watch from a cliff.<<

dhauk, If you were up in some headlands you must have taken Meyers Grade road rather than staying on Hwy 1.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 27
5. Re: sonoma beaches

I'm w/Puter - been those roads more times than I can count, especially her first input - for some dumb reason people think they can do things like go out on Goat Rock and others in the area and they either fall or that "rogue wave" gets them. Depending on how long you want to take for a day trip to the coast from Windsor, you could go north from Jenner to Ft Ross or further (Timber Cove, as was said, is great for views), then back south to Bodega Bay and the headlands there for views, then south a bit to the road that leads to the town of Bodega and up to Sebastopol and back to Windsor. A very doable day trip, depending on how long you stop to view various areas..

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
6. Re: sonoma beaches

If you should decide to go to Fort Ross you can come back by a different route than you went up. Go 3 miles north of Fort Ross to the aforementioned Timber Cove Inn (I suggest you take a peek inside, maybe have a coffee. It has a soaring beamed lobby with a floor to ceiling rock fireplace.)

Across Highway 1 is Timber Cove Road, which goes up to the ridge. turn right onto Seaview Road..It is a pretty drive going south. Sometimes you get a glimpse of the ocean far below. This comes back into Highway 1 north of Jenner.

Then to do the trip mentioned mentioned by lucysmom, turn right on the bridge across the Russian River after Jenner to stay on Highway 1 and go to Bodega Bay, passing the State beaches we talked about.

After Bodega Bay do not stay on Hwy 1. It veers off to the right. Just watch for the sign to the little town of Bodega. This is fun to poke around. If you every saw Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" you may recognize the church and perhaps some other locations. This road will lead you to Sebastopol, another town that is fun to poke around, and then you are just 7 miles from Hwy 101 in Santa Rosa and Windsor is 8 or so miles north.

Enjoy Windsor. A close relative of mine is the mayor there and she was in on the restoration of the downtown when they did that several years ago.

Reply to: sonoma beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted