We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping with younger kids?

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Camping with younger kids?

Looking at tent camping at several campgrounds in Bodega Bay area (Sonoma Coast SB on Wrights Beach, Lawsons Landing at Dillon Beach, and others). I cannot get a good sense of how close they are to the beach. I know that the beaches in this area are not for swimming but maybe beach play and some wading. Is there a campground recommended in the area that may be near the beach and not really ON the beach or do these campgrounds I mentioned okay for kids?

2 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
2,986 reviews
1. Re: Camping with younger kids?

Doran Beach would work well

as another one to look at....Its great for sand play and camping....

its a county park but works well for families.

Just realize any place along the beach this time of year can get foggy and windy...as such, some camp instead on the Russian River about 5 miles in or so and play there.

(il.e. if you camp on the beach just be sure to take the warm clothes along - like any other northern california beach area.) Have fun!

Edited: 6:30 pm, July 17, 2012
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
28,302 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Camping with younger kids?

If you camp on a Sonoma Coast Beach, keep the kids away from the surf, unless you are right there. Rogue waves can surprise them and sweep them away. Not kidding.

Reply to: Camping with younger kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted