We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 17
Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

In June, my husband and I end an historic trains tour in Santa Rosa and have 4 nights/3 days before a conference in San Francisco. We plan to rent a car in Santa Rosa. Then, we'd like to go on a nature tour, with particular emphasis on redwoods and some of the California coastline. We'd like to stay in a central place that is peaceful and attractive. Bodega Bay? Mendocino? Any suggestions for a home base and natural areas nearby?

4 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

Stay in Mendocino. There's not a prettier town in California. It's surrounded by several state parks and redwood forests are nearby. And, there's the Skunk Train to ride if you like old trains.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
2. Re: Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

I'd second Mendocino, but more because it would be more of a centralized home base for several days than Bodega Bay would be for what you appear to want. And yes, there is the Skunk Train.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
3. Re: Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

We have stayed in some vacation rentals up in Mendocino as well as the Joshua Grindle Inn which I would highly recommend. Some lovely restaurants to eat there as well as the drive down South along the coast in very pretty.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 17
4. Re: Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco

Thanks for the advice. Mendocino sounds like the better choice.

Reply to: Redwoods/Coastline trip north of San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted