We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
flemington, nj
reviews: 17
DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

I've read lots of the forums out there, thank you all, and they've brought me to this point ... (We're 3 Couples, in our 40's, who enjoy being outdoors & leisurely active.) Coming in from the east coast, we're landing SFO 2:30 PM Sun. May-27 Mem. Day Wknd, renting a car, and heading right out and up to Bodega Bay Lodge for our 1st nite (before heading inland for the next few days) ... Planning on taking Hwy-1 to jump-start that vacation feeling, GOOD IDEA ? ... Looking for a place to STOP#1: where we can eat a late lunch / early dinner and get into vacation mode - after we get out of the airport and/or city, preferably sooner than later (since we won't have eaten anything but airport snacks since 8:00AM PST), casual place, an outdoor area would be great, good food (preferably coastal cali cuisine), nice scenery or cali-vibe, don't want to stay too long, but looking forward to being out of the airport, plane & car for a bit ... And then looking for STOP#2: somewhere en-route to stop and pick up some snacks (let's say wine, cheese, fruit, and maybe some nice desserts) that we can enjoy when we arrive at Bodega Bay Lodge, where we'll unwind for the evening before crashing for the nite (after what's sure to be a tiring day of travel) ... In advance, thanks so much for your insight! And pls chime in on my forthcoming posts for DAY #2: Bodega Bay to Yountville, DAYS #6-7: Pt. Reyes, and DAY #8: Pt. Reyes to SFO

Napa
reviews: 7
1. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Sams in Tiburon is a nice stop for lunch, a little off 101, but not very far. You sit outside on the deck with the bay view. Watch what you're eating, the seaguls are known to come in for a snack attack :)

http://www.samscafe.com

To pick up some great local cheeses- from 101 you will take the Washington Street exit in Petaluma and head towards Hwy 1. On the right side on Washington Street is a Whole Foods Market with wonderful LOCAL cheese selections (Cowgirl Creamery from Pt. Reyes is my favoite brand) and wines. It's on your way to Bodega Bay! Such an easy stop...

wholefoodsmarket.com › Stores › California

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
2. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Segway has you taking Hwy 101 to Petaluma and then the Bodega Hwy to Bodega Bay.

If you wanted to make that trip wholly on Hwy 1, you would take the Hwy 1 exit from 101 after Marin City. The first part of this drive on the cliffs is very winding. This road passes Point Reyes and skirts Tomales Bay and does not come out on the coast again until Bodega Bay.

Since you are planning a trip to Point Reyes on days 6-7, I would use Segway's directions to get to Bodega Bay on the first day. It is a pretty pastoral drive from Petaluma to the coast.

On your way to Yountville you will start by driving 10 miles up the coast from Bodega Bay and cross the Russian River, and turn right on Hwy 116. When you get to Guerneville you might want to stop at Armstrong Grove, which is a State redwood park.

russianrivertravel.com/parks-armstrong.htm

santa rosa, ca
3. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

The town of Sausalito would be another nice place to kick start you into vacation mode.....it's the first exit after the Golden Gate Bridge (Alexander Ave). Go down the hill to the lovely waterfront downtown (Bridgeway St) w lots of restaurants and some wine and cheese stores and a very good bakery. A very picturesque town w lovely views of the bay and San Francisco.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

You should pack some lunch for the flight and skip the snacks. If you take Hwy 1 along the coast, you could have a great early dinner at Nick's Cove on Tomales Bay:

http://www.nickscove.com/

You could also stop in Pt. Reyes Station for your STOP#2 which would actually be STOP#1. There's a couple of markets there and the world famous Cowgirl Creamery:

http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/

It's best to avoid tourist towns like Sausalito and Tiburon on the Sunday of Memorial Weekend. They will be clogged with traffic. There are other places you could dine if you can't wait for Nick's Cove that would be easy to get to and have great views.

Hopefully, you will have decent weather on the coast at that time of year. It is not guaranteed.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
5. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Well, Supercilious and I disagree. I still think if you are doing Point Reyes and Tomales Bay on Days 6-7 you should, on Day 1 take the 101/Petaluma/Bodega Highway route to Bodega Bay.

I don't see any reason to double up on Point Reyes.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
6. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Well, Puter we don't really disagree. I would take your route as well. I said "if you take Hwy 1 along the coast". I never said that would be the route I would choose. I was going by their desire to drive Hwy 1.

In fact, I would probably avoid taking Hwy 1 on that particular day because of the traffic. I would also probably avoid the coast at that time of year. Spending Sunday in San Francisco might be the best idea.

Where would you recommend they have lunch?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
7. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

OK. I was making the dangerous assumption that they would be driving Highway 1 on their way *back* and on the way to Point Reyes.

Can't help with lunch. When we pass through there we are on our way and it isn't lunch time :~)

santa rosa, ca
8. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Since the OP's party lands at 2:30 PM it will probably be about 4 or 5 PM when they are leaving the city over the Golden Gate Bridge. Six people dealing with luggage and car or cars takes a lot longer than one couple. Most, if not all, the stores in the tiny coastal towns usually close around 5 or 6 PM. The last 2 places to find open grocery stores on your trip to Bodgea will be Petaluma or Sebastopol (if you go via Santa Rosa and Hwy 12). Try and get to Bodega Bay Lodge in time for the sunset and have fun!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
9. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Good point, gingerale. I hadn't noticed their landing time at the airport. All the more reason to get on the road to Bodega Bay.

Petaluma is a more direct route to Bodega Bay and should be about an hour and a half from the Golden Gate Bridge. I would take 380 to 280 and then through the city on 19th Avenue rather than 101.

flemington, nj
reviews: 17
10. Re: DAY #1: San Franisco to Bodega Bay

Wow, thanks everyone so much for the input. So glad I asked. Thought I had worked up a good itinerary for that day, not so much, it appears. Yikes, I hope I do better with DAYS #2-8 ;-) Guess we're gonna hustle outta San Fran and try to make our way up, via inland route, to Bodega Bay as quick as we can, stopping en-route (I have a friend of a friend who lives in Petaluma, so maybe she's got some suggestions?) to pick-up some dinner snacks we'll enjoy once we arrive. Looking forward to the sunset, fingers crossed. I hope everyone has a fun Memorial Day weekend. Thanks again. (Still working out DAY #2 with my travel peeps, so haven't posted yet, but will definitely include a stop at Armstrong redwoods; heck, Puter, your posts were my jumping-off point when I started planning this trip. And you know how it goes, one post leads you to something/somewhere else, then you're segwaying yet again to somewhere else, and on an on, and before you know it, a fantastic trip is forming. Much thanks everyone, the guidance is invaluable!)