We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago,il
reviews: 32
Doran or Westside Campground in June?

We are renting a campervan the end of June and want to spend a night on the ocean in Bodega. We were all set to reserve at Doran when I read the postings about the bad weather and high winds. I know we may encounter that no matter where we stay, but is Westside a little more sheltered? In your opinion, where would you stay if you only had one night? Thanks!

santa rosa, ca
1. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

I've never stayed at Westside because it is located right along a road but we have stayed at Doran many times in an RV. It is located on a spit of sand at the entrance to Bodega Bay and yes it can get VERY windy. I would not recommend tent camping but I think a campervan would be nice and give you the option of getting some shelter from the wind. The beach here is safer as it faces south (the water is still very cold!) and you do not have to worry about those sleeper waves that have pulled many people to their deaths.

Bodega Dunes Campground is north of Doran and has more sheltered campsites but there is a bit of a walk to the beach and I've heard complaints about bold skunks foraging for food there.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

For ocean views, look at Wright's Beach. It's not very protected but it's on the ocean. The other campgrounds are more protected.

Doran is on a bay, not the open ocean. Doran is a fine campground, with a nice calm beach and great facilities but, at Wrights, you can enjoy the full fury of the ocean waves crashing on the big beach in front of you. It's a popular campground and hard to get a site for that reason.

June is not the best month on the coast. You will have a much greater chance of foggy, cool weather than sunny and warm.

chicago,il
3. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately Wright's Beach is all booked up already so I'm back to Doran Beach or Westside. I guess we'll have to take our chances with Doran and hope we get a beautiful sunny day unless you have any other suggestions?

Windsor, California
reviews: 1
4. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Westside is on the bay and Doran has the bay on one side AND the ocean on the other side...little bonus.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
5. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Actually, Doran has the harbor on one side and the bay on the other. It is not on the open ocean.

mappery.com/maps/Bodega-Bay-Park-Map.mediumt…

Doran Park is a very fine campground though.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
6. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Have camped at both, Doran once in a tent, and Westside many, many, many times in a camper or RVs.. For a semi-protected side at Westside, on the site map you will see a row of trees running down the middle (same row as bathroom). If you can get on the harbor side of the trees, it's fairly protected and you still have great views. If I remember correctly from looking at map a few weeks ago, the #s there were like 17, 19, etc. The winds typically (at least in summer) come in off the ocean. I actually camped at Porto Bodega at the north end of the harbor a couple of weeks ago, and it was nice to have the full hookups that the County beaches don't have. If you have kids that want to play on the beach a lot, Doran is a best bet, but if they'd rather play on the rocks and sand flats at low tide, Westside or Porto Bodega is better. It's also better if you have a dog because it's not so much of a hassle to take dog on sand flats offleash, but at Doran you have to keep them on leash and can't let them play i water. Also, as mentioned above, he Bodega Dunes State Park is just north of the harbor and it's a nice, fairly protected campground - lots of trees, but not as much sun or views, and more of a hike to the ocean (or you can drive to the beach parking lot. If you stay in Westside, your fee in there allows you to also go over and use Doran Beach or any other County beach where they charge as a day use. Also, if booking Doran or Westside online, you you'll want to do it as soon as possible to get a good site. It does fill fast up on many weekends most of the year and the end of June is always packed even most of the week, especially if it's hot inland.

Edited: 2:43 am, March 02, 2012
chicago,il
7. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

Thank you for all the input! I was torn between the 2 campgrounds and was a little apprehensive because of the advice about Doran and high winds. I have had trouble getting reservations so last week I did book Doran. I decided if we only have one day to spend up there, to take a chance on it being a nice day.

Unfortunately, the reservation system is not very accommodating so I can't switch without losing my money. I have lots of great ideas thanks to the forum!

Napa
reviews: 7
8. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

You'll love Doran Beach. Great tide pools on the south ocean side. We camp all the time at Westside- but that's because we like the boat launch being so close. If you like clam chowder- be sure to stop at Spud Point Crab Co- the best chowder- - ever! IMO :)

9. Re: Doran or Westside Campground in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 17, 2013