We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

Which Bodega Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 71
Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

Ok, I'm seeing alot of questions on this road. I don't want to repeat, as it seems as it may be. BUT we are actually planning on taking this Hwy from Muir Woods back to Bodega Bay where we are staying. Is this Hwy as dangerous as people are inquiring about?? We understand its winding and slow, but should we be concerned?

7 replies to this topic
Ontario
1. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

The road is in good enough shape and is a normal undivided "highway" (1 lane each way). Aside from being winding it does go up over the mountain so can be a little steep at some points but unless you have a real phobia about such things I would not give it a second thought.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
2. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

Highway 1 north of SF to Bodega Bay is one of the most scenic drives in the world IMHO. Please do take the time to enjoy the drive and also stop at places like Point Reyes, Tamales Bay enroute.

As long as the driver has his/her eyes on the road there is nothing to worry about. It is windy as 1 said but by no means would I classify it as one of the dangerous roads in the world.

There are other options to get to Bodega Bay going on 101 and then cutting across to Bodega Bay but that is an ok drive

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

Much of that drive from Muir to Bodega is along Tomales Bay, not the Pacific. At the north end of Tomales Bay, highway 1 cuts inland and comes back to the coast at Bodega. It's only the shorter section from Muir to Stinson Beach that is windy and on cliffs over the Pacific.

But still, this is a state road and is in good condition. The lanes are standard width and, where possible, there are good shoulders and guardrails.

As said, it is a two lane road, not a freeway, so don't expect to average more than 30MPH.

"Dangerous?" ... no, it's not.

Edited: 11:02 am, July 29, 2011
New York City, New...
reviews: 75
4. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

Just did this drive Monday. It was absolutely beautiful and we stopped at Muir Woods, Point Reyes, and Tomales Bay for an oyster lunch. Unless you are cripplingly afraid of heights, it is a fantastic safe n enjoyable route. There are some areas where some of the road has fallen so they put up bars and make it one-lane for twenty feet or so. My husband and I laughed about it being the lazy man's fix. Any questions about the stops feel free to pm me.

illinois
reviews: 1
5. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

I have 2 days to kill around San Fran in Nov and would like to try driving north to Bodega Bay or further. I would leave on a Thursday morning and need to get back to San Fran Friday night. How long does it take and how far should we go? Any recommendations for where to stop, sight see, stay and eat are welcomed!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
6. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

to gidget&rocky,

What RamblinSal said.

However, if you are staying in Bodega Bay I am wondering why you are going to come back south to visit redwoods at Muir Woods when you are only 22 miles from a much larger and uncrowded State redwood preserve at Armstrong Grove in Guerneville?

russianrivertravel.com/parks-armstrong.htm

If it is not true that you are coming "back" from Bodega Bay, then I would still do this.

From Bodega Bay, just drive up the tame 10 miles of Hwy 1, cross the Russian Rive, and in 12 miles you are in Guerneville. You will not miss any coastal scenery because you will BE on the coast, which is not the case from Muir back up to Bodega Bay.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
7. Re: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay

to karenK

Here is a day trip you might like. You can make two days of it if you have the time.. It is one of my favorite trips.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

But I hope you are spending some time in San Francisco as well.

Reply to: Hwy 1 North from SF to Bodega Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted