We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

Pasig
reviews: 4
Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

Where do we stand a better chance at snow between the two in early November?

It doesn't have to be natural...we just wanna sled, do snow angels with the kids and see the white stuff.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
1. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

In early November you are unlikely to get snow in Big Bear or the top of the Palm Springs Tram. It does not snow in Palm Springs.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

Palm Springs is in the desert and never receives snow. If you take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, at the mountain station at top there is often snow in the winter months. But only natural snow, they do not make it there. The ski resorts at Big Bear Lake start making snow as soon as it is cold enough. They don't wait for storms. But that's only on the ski runs. Whether there will be snow on the ground for snow play in early November depends entirely on the weather, and when the first winter-type storm arrives. I would say the chances of enough snow being on the ground for snow play in November is pretty slim, unless it is an "El Niño year" and this upcoming year is supposed to not be one, so far at least. In early November your chances of finding snow to play on would be much greater in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California or in Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washinton, Idaho or Montana than in southern California. If there is a lot of snow in the southern California mountains, I would drive up Highway 38 from Redlands, east of San Bernardino, to the San Bernardino National Forest. Once you get to about Angelus Oaks, you start seeing snow in the area - provided there have been some winter storms already.

Pasig
reviews: 4
3. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

Yes I meant the top of the Palm Springs tramway:)

So what temp is "cold enough" for the artficial blowers to start making snow?

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 114
4. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

The bottom line is Big Bear! Here are two main places in Big Bear that you can check out for more information: Bear Mountain & Snow Summit- bigbearmountainresorts.com/index_winter.php. Plus Big Bear is such a cute town-if you've never been, you should make a trip!

Huntington Beach, CA
reviews: 7
5. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

I'd say that they wait until it's in the high 20's and lower....but it also has to be dry, humidity wise.

I agree with the previous poster, your chances of snow in early November are slim... Just keep looking at the Bear Mountain and SNow Summit sites...they'll give you an idea of what they're predicting as your dates get closer.

6. Re: Big Bear vs Palm Springs for November Snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, March 04, 2011