We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Question

Which Beverly Hills hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewJersey
reviews: 91
Day Trip Question

We (a couple in our 50's) will be traveling up to Beverly Hills from Newport Coast for a day of sightseeing. We'd like to drive Mulholland Dr and also venture down Rodeo Dr for some window shopping & lunch.... My question is what is the best route to take to enter Mulholland Dr and which should we do first? Also, what other sights should we check out in the area? Appreciate you feedback and recommendations! Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
1. Re: Day Trip Question

Well, you'll hit some traffic if you're driving on a weekday into the city and you depart between 6:00 and 9:00 and return between 3:00 and 7:00 so figure that in.

Mulholland is an interesting experience with some great views but the road is quite curvy so you don't want to be driving too much of it. I would go to Mulholland first (you'll be 'fresh' in the morning and the sun will be high in the sky instead of in your face as you drive those curves).

When you arrive from Newport, you can come into L.A. on the 405 freeway (on the westside) or on the 110 freeway (into downtown, which is near the eastside of our city). So, what route you take for mulholland will depend on which way you enter L.A. (and this, in turn, might be related to which other attractions you'll be visiting on your way in and on your way out).

Spending a single day in L,A. (including a drive from Newport) will be challenging -- you can't see a lot of attractions, just a handful.

Here's a route but there are many more:

Entering L.A. via the Harbor Freeway. Exit into downtown, park and explore our downtown area. Downtown is often ignored by visitors since it's at the eastern edge of our city and is probably not as well-promoted as the westside, Hollywood, Beverly Hills (which is actually not in L.A, of course), etc.

Lots to see in downtown, e.g the Catholic Cathedral, Riordan Library, Bradbury Building, Chinatown, City Hall, MOCA, etc, etc. Exit downtown via the Hollywood Freeway, going north (the only direction you can go).

Before I forget, here's a list of the scenic overlooks on Mulholland for the section you'll be visiting while in L.A.:

www.lamountains.com/maps/mulhollandEast.pdf

and some info about the street

www.lamountains.com/parks.asp?parkid=37

Okay, here's a possible route from downtown (I've marked an arbitrary starting point in downtown) to Rodeo Drive via the eastern portion of Mulholland Drive:

http://mapq.st/OpvMS5

The stops along the route are 'scenic overlooks'. Stop at as few or as many as you please. If the curvy driving becomes 'too much', you can turn left off of Mulholland on Laurel Canyon Bl (which is also very curvy) and head 'down the hill' into West Hollywood. Turn right at Sunset Bl and drive through the famous Sunset Strip and into Beverly Hills. Turn left onto Beverly Drive (as you'd do later on, on this route) or Rodeo Drive and head into downtown Beverly Hills.

As far as what other sites to check out, it really depends on what your interests are. If you like small to medium-sized art museums with interesting collections, I'd recommend the Hammer Museum in the Westwood neighborhood, just a few minutes west of Beverly Hills. If you don't want to fuss with eating in Beverly Hills, the Napa Valley Grille is adjacent to the Museum so you can park in the museum's parking structure and walk to the restaurant for lunch.

We have beach communities, historic sites, interesting architecture, ethnic neighborhoods, etc, etc, etc so tell us more about the types of things that interest you and we can make recs.

For the trip back to Newport, head a couple of minutes west of the Hammer along Wilshire Bl and you'll see signs for the 405 freeway south just ahead. Have fun!

NewJersey
reviews: 91
2. Re: Day Trip Question

Thanks for all the suggestions....Can you tell me how long (Miles) is Mulholland Drive to go all the way from Start to End. Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
3. Re: Day Trip Question

Well, the street has some places where it ends and then resumes later on (because of the terrain, the street has gaps). The longest continuous section is bounded on the east by the Hollywood freeway (as I've indicated above) and on the west by the 405 freeway. Here's the route:

http://mapq.st/ONNCiL

It's 11.4 miles

You can zoom in on the map using the "+" sign at the right and move the map around by clicking-holding-dragging. Don't drive from EAST TO WEST in the mid to late afternoon or the sun will be in your face. Either drive earlier or drive in the opposite direction. (In the late afternoon, the sun will be in your rear view and side mirrors -- also, not a good experience).

Have fun!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 79
4. Re: Day Trip Question

I just saw your question and have a few suggestions for sight-seeing in BH. A walk down Rodeo is always fun. For people-watching, I highly suggest grabbing an outdoor table at The Blvd - "Pretty Woman" hotel on the corner of Rodeo and Wilshire (Beverly Wilshire Hotel - part of the Four Seasons chain). Or, sit at the bar and enjoy a cocktail or two! If you are a fan of the Real Housewives reality show on Bravo, walk north to Villa Blanca (owned by Lisa Vander-something) for lunch. The food is "meh" but a glass of rose will make your day! If Villa Blanca is not your thing, walk east to Il Pastaio and sit outside. Very good food - get the panzanella salad, carpaccio del tonno, any pasta and share a bottle!

Canada
reviews: 16
5. Re: Day Trip Question

Great info!

Canada
6. Re: Day Trip Question

Also, if eating at the Blvd on the patio would it be ok to take a toddler as well?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
7. Re: Day Trip Question

Be ok how? There are no restrictions.

Canada
8. Re: Day Trip Question

I guess just meaning is it so fancy that a toddler would be out of place.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
9. Re: Day Trip Question

Not unless he started throwing his toys around!

Edited: 9:06 pm, January 17, 2013
10. Re: Day Trip Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014