We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian dining in Berkeley

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
Italian dining in Berkeley

I'm planning a trip to Berkeley soon and looking for a nice place to take my Italian friend for dinner. Any suggestions? I heard there is a new place called Belli that has 125 kinds of ravioli on a rotating menu. Anyone been there?

1. Re: Italian dining in Berkeley

Are you looking for any place that your friend from Italy might like? Or are you specifically looking for down home Italian cooking ..not Californialized... that will remind your friend of home?

Gypsy's is affordable and is as down home as it gets. But i cannot tell whether it is authentic. But i do know it is tasty.

Non Italian places include Rivoli's or Chez Panisse if cost is not an issue. Or Angelines Louisiana Kitchen which is walking distance from BART.

Edited: 2:15 am, November 10, 2012
Rochester, Minnesota
2. Re: Italian dining in Berkeley

authentic.

Outside Oakland
reviews: 11
3. Re: Italian dining in Berkeley

Trattoria la Siciliana on College Ave. is a great place with unique dishes, a great selection of reasonably priced wines and superb management/owners who make heir presence known and clearly want oh to enjoy yourself. I'd suggest getting there early or late as peak times can be a bit crowded.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
4. Re: Italian dining in Berkeley

Berkeley is home to many great restaurant types, but unfortunately Italian isn't one of them. You'll come across a lot of average in this style, which is fine as long as you aren't expecting anything amazing.

Belli Osteria hasn't even been open a month, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Initial reviews sound promising, although it seems everything on Yelp gets 4 stars these days: www.yelp.com/biz/belli-osteria-berkeley-4

One qualified recommendation is Sportivo. I've had good food there on my two visits, but the service is mixed: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sportivo-berkeley

I haven't tried Lo Coco's or Trattoria Corso yet, but they get pretty good reviews. Consider them if you are interested: www.yelp.com/biz/trattoria-corso-berkeley and http://www.yelp.com/biz/lo-cocos-berkeley

Most of the other Italian restaurants around town (Giovanni, Venezia, Divino, etc.) have been unimpressive during my visits.

5. Re: Italian dining in Berkeley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 24, 2013