We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 36
Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

We are planning on stopping in Berkeley for a few hours en route from Sonoma to SF airport.

We want to soak up the famous Berkeley atmosphere by visiting the campus and Telegraph Avenue, then soak up some delicious food at Chez Panisse.

A few questions.

1. Where should we park?

2. Are the three locations we want to visit within walking distance of each other?

3. Is there an 'end' of Telegraph Avenue? It looks like a long road!

Any other advice very gratefully received!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

2. Yes, they are within walking distance of each other.

3. It is a long road. The part you want to see is the few blocks near Sather Gate on the campus.

All in 4 hours? Chez Panisse needs almost 4 hours to enjoy the food. I think you might need more time.

The campus, by the way is vast. Not a quick walk-by.

reviews: 36
2. Re: Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

I should have said the Chez Panisse cafe! Oops :) That won't take so long will it?

I had thought maybe an hour and a half for Chez Panisse, perhaps parking somewhere near it (though not sure where). Google maps says a half hour walk from there to Telegraph Avenue so to save time I had thought about parking in a car park near Telegraph Avenue (is it called Channing? I can't remember). Then we'd have a couple of hours to walk up Telegraph Avenue to the Campus, around the campus for an hour, then back down the other side of Telegraph Avenue to the car.

Am I being overly optimistic? I had hoped to get a midday reservation at the Chez Panisse cafe, and we have to leave by four at the latest. We could perhaps come mid-morning and eat around 2.30 instead to give ourselves a bit more time, though this may result in my husband getting hangry (when hunger leads to irritability!).

What do you think, will my plan work, or should we come earlier?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
3. Re: Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

VV, have you already made your visit? Sorry, I've been on vacation and just now saw this...

I am not sure exactly how long it will take to eat at the Chez Panisse cafe. However, I can comment on the other points:

All three destinations are within walking distance of each other. However, it is not an especially quick walk! To save time, you may wish to take an AC Transit bus for the return to your car to save time (if necessary).

Assuming you start at Chez Panisse, though, you should simply park near the restaurant. Parking is relatively easy in the North Berkeley/Gourmet Ghetto neighborhood. When you are done with lunch, you may want to drive and park near Telegraph Avenue or downtown. Street parking is fine if you park in the area between downtown and Telegraph, such as along Durant Avenue. Parking garages are another option, but they take some time to get into and out of during peak times.

The stretch of Telegraph Avenue you are interested in runs from the south edge of campus (Bancroft Way) south to Dwight Way (and perhaps a block further south of that). You can enter the UC Berkeley campus from Telegraph Avenue, which is very close to Sather Gate. From there it is a short walk to the Campanile and other destinations.

reviews: 740
4. Re: Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

We had an early reservation for the Chez Panisse Cafe yesterday and were able to park right around the corner from the restaurant. Our 3 course meal took a little over an hour. Delicious bread, Crab Salad, Rigatoni with Chantrelle Mushrooms and Apple Galette with Huckleberry ice cream for dessert. What a great place! :)

5. Re: Berkeley- campus, Telegraph Ave., & Chez Panisse in 4 hours!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Berkeley