We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visalia and Bakersfield for July 4th !!

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
reviews: 6
Visalia and Bakersfield for July 4th !!

I've posted this on the Visalia forum as well. I'm planning to come to Visalia on July 3 to watch a baseball game and then stay over in Visalia for a couple of night, or mlaybe a night in both Visalia and Bakersfield. I'm really into authentic Mexican food (I'm an adventurous foodie) , fresh produce stands, anything to do with water (rivers, lakes, canals, irrigation), and anything historic. I'm thinking of packing my bike. I've put togeter some amazing trips with tripadvisor help but, I know i'm not giving a lot of time for response. Any advice is welcome !!! In particular, whether I should stop anywhere between Bakersfield and Visalia (or the reverse). I saw a post on farm stands on Hwy 99 so that looks promising !!

2 replies to this topic
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Visalia and Bakersfield for July 4th !!

My favorite Mexican food in Bakersfield is Mexicali, but you might consider it too "gringo" for your tastes. Best Chile Relleno's ever!! The 18th Street location is near a canal they built through the downtown area a few years ago. An attempt to make the area more attractive and walkable.

Pioneer Village might be of interest to you.

A drive east on Highway 178 leads to the Kern River Canyon where you can find off highway parking to enjoy the river.... just don't get in it. While the water looks calm and inviting, the undertow can pull you under and drown you! There's even a sign at the canyon entrance telling you to stay out of the river and how many lives have been lost.

Edited: 10:44 pm, June 30, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
reviews: 40
2. Re: Visalia and Bakersfield for July 4th !!

If you want to take a run down the river there's a few different tour companies. My husband and daughter have gone with this one a couple times (they do big rafts or kayaks) but there's other businesses- just google Kern River rafting or tours. http://www.riversendrafting.com/expeditions/

Bakersfield has a nice bike path through town a lot of locals use for exercise - biking, running, skating, walking. I don't know if that's what you're into. Some of it is in more metro areas, but the ends are in less dense locations. We've seen coyotes, roadrunners, and lots of bunnies along the route. There was a bobcat spotted a couple months ago. Not sure how up to date this map is as we usually only use the stretch near our house, but this is the best I could find bakersfieldcity.us/recreation/pdfs/2013_Park…

We also love going out to Windwolves Preserve - they have nice hiking and biking trails. Lots of wildlife and beautiful landscape, especially in the spring with all the wildflowers. They are about 30 min south of Bakersfield wildlandsconservancy.org/preserve_windwolves…

I wish I could recommend a Mexican restaurant. My favorite one closed a few years ago and I've been searching ever since for something I love as much. Mexicali is good, like Kibblesmom suggested. Red Pepper is good, too. As an adventurous foodie have you considered Basque? Bakersfield is kind of known for Basque food. Woolgrowers is a favorite. Benji's is also popular.

Pioneer Village/Kern County Museum is a collection of old homes, buildings, and artifacts. You can wander around the grounds. Most of the buildings are staged and you can partially enter them to look at displays. They have a nice interactive museum on the history of oil in Kern County. http://www.kcmuseum.org/

If you are into country music we have Buck Owens Crystal Palace. It's a restaurant and mini-museum dedicated to Buck Owens. http://www.buckowens.com/

Have you been to Fort Tejon? It's on the way to LA. I haven't been but my friend is a history buff and enjoys it. She tends to go when they do reenactments, though. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=585

Reply to: Visalia and Bakersfield for July 4th !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted