We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey UK
reviews: 5
heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

After a night in Tehachapi (Sunday) and a morning (Monday) at Tehachapi loop watching trains (!) we are heading for the coast where we want to visit Hearst castle and then gradually head back down the coast to LA, where we catch a flight home the following Monday.

I was thinking we could stay in Bakersfield Monday night (so my husband can have a last session watching trains) then head for the coast.

How long will it take to get to San Simeon from the Bakersfield area and which route would you recommend?

Is there somewhere between the two places we could stay rather than in Bakersfield? I'm a bit confused as to the best place to stay in Bakersfield as I'd like to have something to look at (possibly shops) while my husband train watches.

We plan to stay in Van Nuys on the Saturday before we go home.

Sorry if this sounds a bit confused but I'd like to sort out our route before we arrive. I'd very much appreciate advice from those of you who know the area.

6 replies to this topic
Bakersfield
reviews: 9
1. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

I live in Bakersfield I would not stay here it is less than an hour from Tehachapi.

(Unless there was a concert at the Crystal Palace or another event you wanted to attend)

If it was me I would go the 3 hours to San Simeon from the Tehachapi loop.

I would take 58 west from Tehachapi then carry on directly west on Stockdale Hwy when 58 dead ends to

Interstate 5 north take it until you get to 46 west at Lost Hills Take 46 west to Paso Robles Then 101 South to the 58 west to Cambria (San Simeon Area)

then the Coastal Hwy (Hwy 1) North to the San Simeon area.

Other options that might tempt us

Paso Robles could be a nice area to spend a night with some wine tasting? (30 miles inland from the coast)

San Luis Obispo, Pismo or Avila Beach, Cayucos, Cambria and Morro Bay are neat coastal areas south of san Simeon you could visit too. The Edna valley area of San Luis Obispo is gorgeous and has some great wineries with tasting rooms (Baileyana, Talley, Edna Valley come to mind)

Are you flying out of Burbank on the way home

If not and Flying out of LAX perhaps staying in a beach area like Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach may be preferable to Van Nuys.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

"....Then 101 South to the 58 west to Cambria (San Simeon Area)"...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is no Highway 58 to Cambria. It's Highway 46 the OP wants.

Bakersfield
reviews: 9
3. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

Kibbles

You are right I got mixed up on the numbers Of the highways thanks for correcting me

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

No worries :-)

San Mateo...
reviews: 25
5. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

I will try to speak to both trains and general tourism…

The loop is a wonderful place to watch trains when trains are running… sometimes due to maintenance trains are scarce… serious railfans use scanners to track trains and activities… the best site for railfans in California is Trainorders.com… it is a pay site… if you are basing a trip on train viewing it may be worth the fees…

Bakersfield has a troubled, somewhat unwarranted reputation… The Best Western downtown is nice.. there is a River walk… The town is known for its Basque cuisine… there is a great dinner nearby for breakfast… (the 24th street café)… your husband could explore the edges of the local railroad yards… trespassing on railroad property is not tolerated… but viewing from public property is… areas near railroads can be tough… but if he is aware of surroundings and exercises reasonable care it is safe… again, Trainorders may give guidance.

Heading over to the coast… others have suggested the proper roads… Paso Robles may offer shops and wineries for you, and the former SP coast line passes through town, sadly trains are now few and far between on the coast line… Cambia, San Simeon (Hearse Castle) and the coast are less than an hour beyond. We have stayed in Paso and visited Hearse Castle, had dinner in Cambria and returned to Paso… the distances are not great… Paso has some of the best wine tasting in California…

Heading south, there is a “depot” railroad museum in San Luis… and again in Goleta, near Santa Barbara

Questions welcome… Randy

Surrey UK
reviews: 5
6. Re: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi

Thanks for all your advice . We are staying in Bakersfield as I am visiting that evening. Have actually booked into the Holiday Inn Express on Buck Owens Blvd as it was the nearest to where I am going. I can see it might be noisy but hope it's not too bad.

Thanks for the advice re trains. My husband is very interested in railways so out first few days are more for his benefit - hence allowing more time at Tehachapi and Bakersfield. He's used to the somewhat dubious areas around railway yards so would be careful. Your tip about the website could be a lifesaver (for me!) if it saves sitting by an empty track for hours.

We're flying home from LAX to London. Will definitely stay in Santa Barbara. Again we're staying in Van Nuys to be convenient for visiting.

Reply to: heading for coast (Hearst castle) from Tehachapi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted