We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SR 58 construction?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 109
SR 58 construction?

We are planning on visiting Cesar Chavez NM on our drive home from San Bernadino Cty. Our plan is to take 395 N then 58 West. But i need help interpreting this from CalTrans;

SR 58 is closed to westbound traffic from the

SAND CANYON interchange to 12.5 MI West Of Mojave (KERN CO) 24 HRS a day 7 days a week till 12/31/13 - due to construction - A detour is available.

Is the construction on SR 58 west of the 395 interchange? Do I need to change my route?

Many thanks.

15 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
11. Re: SR 58 construction?

Thanks Underdog.. Having gone through closure of Bay Bridge, i was afraid of what the detour would be but the detour as mentioned below was very small and i need not have worried.

Had a cool and inspired time at the Chavaz NM. Ended up meeting and chatting with Paul Chavez (Cesar's son) and got a preview of a new movie about Chavez buzzfeed.com/adriancarrasquillo/…

The trouble with Caltran's description is that visitors are not always familiar where the interchange is.

Thanks everyone

Edited: 5:38 pm, November 30, 2013
12. Re: SR 58 construction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:13 am, February 20, 2014

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
13. Re: SR 58 construction?

Thanks for the heads up about the movie. We have come far since his days but not really. It's an important American and Californian story to tell. I hope the film is successful. Cast looks great.

How did your teens like it at the NM? Bravo to you for all of these educational visits. (I know you went to Manzanar earlier this year.)

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
14. Re: SR 58 construction?

That detour would be very near to the famous landmark - S.S. Minnow. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/23045

There was a major fire about a year ago and the SS Minnow was in the middle of it, but it survived. Also, that section of Hwy 58 around Kramer Junction (395) is a very dangerous section of Highway. I have seen some very nasty accidents in that two lane area. It can cause major delays and also the signal at Kramer Junction can get jammed up too. After the last bad head on I witnessed, I now try to get behind a semi and stay in their shadow for my protection. They used to have white crosses where there were fatal accidents along the stretch from Kramer Junction west to the 4 lane area, but they were removed about 10 years ago. There were more than 20 of those- mostly on that curve section. Don't be in a hurry driving the 2 lane section.

That "detour" sounds much like a minor issue to me.

San Francisco...
15. Re: SR 58 construction?

I did see the boat from the freeway. Of course, it is not the actual Minnow from the TV show so we just whizzed by it. But we did stop for a photo of the hwy sign to Weed Patch in Kern County city-data.com/city/Weedpatch-California.html

This side trip was for my son who vowed to visit all NPS sites (parks and monuments) in California. Now all he has left on his list is Lava Beds NM. We were very moved by the story of Cesar Chavez - a human story.. He is buried in the gardens at the National Monument.

Reply to: SR 58 construction?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted