We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SR 58 construction?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 109
SR 58 construction?

We are planning on visiting Cesar Chavez NM on our drive home from San Bernadino Cty. Our plan is to take 395 N then 58 West. But i need help interpreting this from CalTrans;

SR 58 is closed to westbound traffic from the

SAND CANYON interchange to 12.5 MI West Of Mojave (KERN CO) 24 HRS a day 7 days a week till 12/31/13 - due to construction - A detour is available.

Is the construction on SR 58 west of the 395 interchange? Do I need to change my route?

Many thanks.

15 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
1. Re: SR 58 construction?

If you look on Google, there is an alert for closure west of Mojave. Could not find anything on Waze. I am wondering how they will detour you, probably through the town. Don't know how else you would get there except 58, detour and all.

Hope someone local will come by.

2. Re: SR 58 construction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:13 am, February 20, 2014

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: SR 58 construction?

I'm thinking that the closure on is on the old Highway 58 roadway and not the freeway they built through there.

It's also possible that, if it is referring to the freeway, that they would use one of the eastbound lanes for westbound traffic.

I know people who travel that way to get to Vegas and none of them have complained of problems getting through that area.

Edited: 11:51 am, November 30, 2013
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
4. Re: SR 58 construction?

Hello AL Tippet, and thanks for the great question you ask.

Not to worry. Take CA Route 58 west through Tehachapi to Cesar Chavez National Monument in Keene, just west of Tehachapi by *staying* on CA Route 58. The Sand Canyon viaduct bridge is undergoing repairs by Caltrans, and so you are routed away from the bridge and onto the offramp, and back on the onramp to resume your trip on CA Route 58, avoiding travel on the currently reconstructed bridge.

FYI, since the subject has come up: the Sand Canyon viaduct bridge construction project and detour will last until 11:00 PM December 31, 2013. Happy New Year for those taking this route indeed! (wide grin)

If anyone wants me to eyeball the construction, just ask, and 'twill be done. It's not more than 30 miles away from me, if that's what is needed to ascertain the state of this route vis a vis construction activities.

Doubting Thomases may instead route themselves away from the construction area by taking CA Route 14/Antelope Valley Freeway south to Rosamond Blvd. in Rosamond. Go west on Rosamond Blvd. to 90th Street West (stop sign at this intersection at this rural area) and turn right (north) on Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road. This will take you to Tehachapi Blvd. to the east of Tehachapi downtown area and to CA Route 58. All paved roads this routing, btw. Beware of the turns on Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road that are in the foothill/mountain areas and slow down for them. There have been some deaths on the road here due to black ice and snowy conditions in past years. Lost a good friend that way here.

Helpful links - the Mojave Desert News story here: desertnews.com/article_70ea1db2-b9a5-11e2-83… and the Caltrans road construction notice currently up is here: www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php…

Have a safe and enjoyable journey while traveling through the Mojave Desert and points west.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: SR 58 construction?

Have no fear, Al. Underdog is here. :-)

Edited: 12:19 pm, November 30, 2013
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
6. Re: SR 58 construction?

. . . And this 'dog loves cats like you, Kibbles! :-)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
7. Re: SR 58 construction?

Ahh. You're making me blush, 'dog

Santa Clara...
8. Re: SR 58 construction?

UD - I am the phone so limited links. But WHERE exactly is the Sand Canyon interchange? Not obvious on Google. Is it where the 14 and 58 meet? I usually just blast through there to/fro Mammoth.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
9. Re: SR 58 construction?

chinita, the Sand Canyon viaduct/bridge/interchange with CA Route 58 is several miles east of Tehachapi and 12 miles west of Mojave. Exit 156. The Sand Canyon Road interchange is near the Monolith lime and cement works, which were instrumental in constructing Hoover Dam near Boulder City, Nevada in the 1930's. Hundreds of cement trucks drove old US Route 466 (old signage number for this route) to get there. FYI.

Here's a link to enjoy when you are back to a desktop computer or other good device: www.aaroads.com/california/ca-058wb.html Scroll down about three quarters down the page to see a great description from a road geek and two photos of the area including the signage you see driving the route at that juncture. Enjoy!

Santa Clara...
10. Re: SR 58 construction?

Cool! Road geeks, hehe. Learn somethin' new every day. I know about plane and train spotting as a hobby but I guess why not love of the roads and all those New Deal projects?

Al - hope you got what you needed and then some. : )

Edited: 3:30 pm, November 30, 2013
Reply to: SR 58 construction?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted