We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Area of Bakersfield?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 6
What Area of Bakersfield?

Hi, we will be driving from Flagstaff to Paso Robles and plan to stop for the night in Bakersfield. Can anyone suggest a convenient location where our moving truck will be safe and there are restaurant options nearby? We will be coming from Flagstaff on 40, which then becomes 58.

I have been considering the 99 and Rosedale Hwy area but I have no idea if this is a nice/safe area. Also, if anyone has a hotel recommendation, it would be very much appreciated. None of the reviews I'm reading sound too good.

Thank you!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
11. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

ToucansR2Cool, I'm an RV driver and one thing you might want to take into consideration in planning your stops is the afternoon WIND in the deserts. This both slows you down in a truck plus makes driving more tiring.

Fresno, California
12. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

I notice that the motels with the current #2 (Hampton) and #3 (La Quinta) review ratings in Bakersfield are north of the city, near 99/65 or 99/7th Standard (just north of the airport).

Both those hotels are fairly new. I've seen them when I've used that interchange for a gas/food stop to avoid a stop in the city itself and appear to be well maintained still. Only problem with those two is that the nearby choices for food are limited to Dennys, a BBQ place and some fast food.

Edited: 8:13 pm, May 07, 2013
Bakersfield...
13. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Hi, I live in Bakersfield. I would drive a few miles into Bakersfield and stay at Homewood Suites on Mill Rock. I drive by it daily and there is plenty of parking. It's in an upscale neighborhood with plenty of local restaurants within walking distances at the Marketplace Shopping Center. I can vouch for every single restaurant there. :). Just take Hwy 58 till it dead ends then make a left going towards Ming Ave. Head west on Ming Ave 2-3 miles. Maybe ten minutes from Hwy 58/99. I personally would not stay anywhere along Freeway 99. It just doesn't look safe day or night. Rosedale would be my second choice. I would not stay anywhere near White Lane, my childhood neighborhood.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 6
14. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Again, thank you all so much for your responses and great advice. I have booked the La Quinta in Tehachapi. Not the greatest reviews but our cat will be with us so I need pet-friendly. We will probably eat at Redhouse BBQ since their pulled pork sammies get great reviews and that sounds like a nice treat after driving. It's going to be a long three-day trip to California but very excited to be moving out there!!! Thank you all again. Not all of the forums have such nice and informative members. You guys are great!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 45
15. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Thanks, Toucans, for the accolades. We do have a lively overall set of forum members via the parent California forum, which many of the posters here frequent.

The La Quinta was the second hotel I would have mentioned to you. . . great choice, and safe area to the east of town. Right off of CA Route 58 at the Tehachapi Blvd. exit headed west. . . easy to find, and you can't go wrong there. The Redhouse BBQ I've heard about, but never been in. Driven by it enough times. I'll have to check it out in the future. Right on Tehachapi Blvd to the west of your hotel. Easy to find. Good legwork! Have a safe trip here, and welcome to Callfornia. We need more folks like you here.

16. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, May 28, 2014