We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Area of Bakersfield?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Luis Obispo...
reviews: 6
What Area of Bakersfield?

Hi, we will be driving from Flagstaff to Paso Robles and plan to stop for the night in Bakersfield. Can anyone suggest a convenient location where our moving truck will be safe and there are restaurant options nearby? We will be coming from Flagstaff on 40, which then becomes 58.

I have been considering the 99 and Rosedale Hwy area but I have no idea if this is a nice/safe area. Also, if anyone has a hotel recommendation, it would be very much appreciated. None of the reviews I'm reading sound too good.

Thank you!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
1. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

The West side of Bakersfield never has impressed me very much. I think the closer to 99 you are, the better it would be. West of 99, Hwy 58 is not freeway but a major city street, and the farther west you go, the less appealing it is: lined mostly with industrial or light industry, cheap apartment houses, basic traveler services, some restaurants, and it seems like an awful lot of churches and liquor stores. I myself would not choose it as a place to stay because there’s not really anything interesting around there and it simply doesn’t feel that great.

I don’t know about the safety aspect, but personally, I’d choose to be closer to 99 or else entirely out of the city, like at Buttonwillow junction on I-5. It’s a wide spot in the road that caters strictly to travelers, with the usual chain motels, restaurants, and gas stations. But that’s another 25 miles from Bakersfield, and if you went that far you’d probably be tempted to go on to Paso Robles.

Do you need to reach Bakersfield on the first day out of Flagstaff? It’s a long haul, and then it is only a little over 100 miles to Paso Robles. A much nicer place to stay would be Tehachapi, which is only 40 miles east of Bakersfield. It’s a smaller town with several hotels both in town and along 58 (which is a freeway there). It isn’t a large town, so getting to and from the freeway with a truck wouldn’t be a hassle. Tehachapi is a historic railroad town in the mountains and has a charming little downtown with small local businesses.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 47
2. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Hello ToucansR2Cool, and welcome to the Bakersfield forum.

I'm a lot closer to Bakersfield than Frisco_Roadrunner, and can give you a local's take on Bakersfield. The southwest part of the city is the more desirable part in terms of safety and amenities. With that in mind, I'd check out the Holiday Inn Express off of White Lane at CA Route 99. Link here: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32037-d79617-R… If you have less to spend, try Super 8 off of California Street in Bakersfield. Link here: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32037-d75934-R…

But as F_R mentioned, Tehachapi is actually the smaller, friendlier, safer place to stay with lots of RV and U-Haul/Penske truck parking. Try Holiday Inn Express right off CA Route 58. . . nice and new, and right off the way to Paso Robles. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33163-d596134-… Tehachapi is in the Tehachapi Mountains at ~4000 feet elevation, which makes it very desirable for Summertime traveling.

Another option is to stop in the town of Mojave, before Tehachapi. I recommend the Desert Inn on old Highway 58 in town in Mojave. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32725-d296571-… You can walk to restaurants there (Taco Bell, Mike's Roadhouse Cafe) and you'd have plenty of RV style parking in the adjacent lots to the motel. Very safe and great rates and owner run place.

From Mojave to Tehachapi is ~20 miles, and from Tehachapi to Bakersfield is ~30 miles. These are all good options for your overnight stay. My personal pick would be Mojave based on price and walkability to restaurants, but it's up to you.

Enjoy your travels with us.

San Luis Obispo...
reviews: 6
3. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

This is exactly what I needed...thank you both so much! I am going to research both Mojave and Tehachapi. They sound exactly like what we're looking for. Then we can just head into Paso the next morning. Again, thanks! I'll come back and tell you what I come up with as far as hotel and dinner that night.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 7
4. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

The 99/58/Rosedale area is perfectly fine. Lots of nearby restaurant options and a Costco across the street for gas (If you're a member, that is).

This would put you nearly an hour closer to Paso Robles compared to Tehachapi.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
5. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Here is a good site for driving a truck long distances.

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/

tatravelcenters.com/location-details/ta-butt…

Buttonwillow SR58 & 5 Freeway has several motels, restaurants and gas stations.

http://goo.gl/maps/irWen

SR58 & 99 is even better, really nice hotels, good restaurants (Benji's French Basque Restaurant) and the Crystal Palace, home of Buck Owens (RIP) and the Buckaroos.

http://www.buckowens.com/bucklive.html

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
6. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Kibblesmom, Rosedale Highway is generally OK, but there is a lodging on the north side of the road a ways out of town that is kinda a dump. I forget the name now. This may be the lodging the Original Poster (OP) is trying to avoid.

Old, run down place. I looked at it years ago and decided it wasn't worth getting a room at. Avoid, avoid avoid. . . the druggie/alkie life there.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
7. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Scott, if a traveler was to overnight at a lodging within a mile of the late Buck Owens' Crystal Palace, I'd say fine, provided it was one with easy view of CA Route 99 and access to it. Just east of there the neighborhood starts to go down. Avoid Union Avenue and Chester Avenue lodgings. . . druggie/meth/alkie/prostitution problems of various degrees in general.

Buttonwillow was for a good long while one of my usual stops where I stayed at the Good Nite Inn, now converted into something else these days. Good traveler services there then and now.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
8. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Hi Underdog_SPP

Not sure of the place you're thinking of, but I know the hotels close to the 99/58/178 area are perfectly fine. I grew up in Bakersfield and used to work in that area, so I'm quite familiar with it.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
9. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

Kibblesmom, I would agree. . . if a traveler is staying at lodgings close by CA Route 99, CA Route 58, and CA Route 178 along the 99 corridor they would most likely do fine. Even at a Motel 6, which I did years ago there.

The place I'm thinking of is maybe 6 to 10 miles west of CA route 99 on the north side of Rosedale Highway where it starts getting more open lots and fields. Privately owned, smaller place. Good price back in the late 90's for weekly rates, but upon a closer inspection I turned it down.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
10. Re: What Area of Bakersfield?

I don;t know how long it's been since you've traveled Rosedale Highway, but it's been built up in recent years and, perhaps, that place is gone or closed down by now. My S-I-L owns a house out that way and I do remember seeing some shady looking real estate when we used to visit her years ago, so I know what you mean.

The OP should only opt for lodging close to Hwy 99 to avoid seedy, out of the way hotels.