We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling I-5 to I-40

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Traveling I-5 to I-40

We are traveling from I-5 South to I-40 to go to Flagstaff, AZ. Last time we attempted this - we went through the rural area of Bakersfield. We have a Class-A RV and would rather stay on highways. Any suggestions?

9 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

The only way I can think of to get from Bakersfield to Barstow to join I 40 is CA 58. Any other route would take you out of the way.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

Yeah... Highway 58. Your RV will do fine on that road. It's multi lane highway even through Tehachapi.

EDIT: I get it. You want to avoid the drive BETWEEN I-5 and Highway 99, etc.

Take Highway 46 east toward Wasco. Sure, it's a 2 lane highway, but the road is straight and wide and takes you right to Highway 99 to go south to CA 58. Be sure to take Hwy 58 East TOWARD Tehachapi and NOT the exit for Hwy58 West/ Rosedale/Hwy 178 East.

Edited: 1:42 pm, April 18, 2013
Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

Ah, I see, that stretch....I didn't even think of that.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
4. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

Hello, Bubba B, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Bakersfield forum.

Kibblesmom gave you the scoop I was going to write for you. Take California State Route 46 between Interstate 5 and California State Route 99. Much smoother drive that way. CA Route 58 between I-5 and CA Route 99 is becoming too busy and too full of stoplights, imho.

Be sure to make the exit for "CA 58 *EAST* Tehachapi Mojave and NOT Rosedale Highway. It will be the second CalTrans sign listing CA Route 58. It's a cloverleaf banked right turn, which will put you in the fast lane of CA Route 58 Eastbound. Ignore the first CalTrans sign!

Have a safe trip to Flagstaff.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
5. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

When we travel from Oregon to visit family in Lake Havasu, AZ, that's the route we take. Hwy 46 from I-5 to 99, then 58 to Barstow and onto I-40 (about a 3 to 5 mile stretch on I-15 there).

San Francisco
6. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

Thanks to ALL! That is what we will do.

Dallas, Oregon
7. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

If you happen to get to Barstow around lunch time, there's both an In-N-Out Burger and a Tommy's near the intersect of 58 and I-15. Just get on westbound I-15 for about a mile and take the first exit. If the timing's not right for an iconic southern California burger, get on eastbound I-15. Once you get on I-40, stops for food and gas are few and far between.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
8. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

RV parking there? Not sure how long Bubba B's motorhome is ... could be as much as 40 feet, though ;-)

Dallas, Oregon
9. Re: Traveling I-5 to I-40

Not to worry. Spacious parking lots at both places. :-)

Reply to: Traveling I-5 to I-40
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted